Nuclear subs collide in Atlantic

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Bananas, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jKcoIY6QBk2T25USYHDKbBtyUmHQD96CTH5O0

There is something a little fishy about this story.

I suspect the two vessels were either playing hide and seek with one another, or, both were oblivious to one another whilst they tracked a different vessel, using similar strategies it may of placed them both in the same location.

I bet there are a few seamen who were glad to see the surface again after something like this. It could of been a real disaster.

2. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

I don't know, it could happen. One in a million is still a chance.

One thing's for sure though: the latest stealth techniques that make submarines invisible to sonar work quite well.

3. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

I'm just thinking, are there no ways to visually determine your surroundings in a submarine? Though I guess they could have been so deep that it was pitch black.

4. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

You can't have windows in a sub, stabby. They are
    A) Too expensive
    B) Compromise the shape of hull, allowing sonar to bounce off a sub at better angles that allow the sub to be picked up
    C) While the above problems can be fixed, sub designers are either unwilling to put forward the time and effort to address such problems, or are to traditional to even consider the notion.

I do believe that this was an accident. But their is most certainly something being hidden from the public. The odds that two Nuclear subs with nuclear ordinance where in the same spot at the same time. They where doing something. I can't even guess at what they where doing.

5. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I'm no expert on submarines or warfare machines or anything, but in 2009 with technology don't they have working sonar available? So both vessels would be more aware of each other, especially considering they were both nuclear submarines?

Even a miniature underwater vessel has some form of tracking things and they manage to avoid crashing in to one another.

6. Stab-o-Matic5000

I wasn't necessarily referring to windows, more like underwater cameras and stuff of that nature.

7. MAgnum9987

Like said, any video device could not be built on the outside of the hull and resist water pressure and not be crushed by the water pressure

8. Stab-o-Matic5000

Obviously I'm not an expert on engineering, but I don't see how it's impossible to have some kind of viewing device on a submarine. How else do they get video footage of things on the bottom of the ocean?

9. MAgnum9987

You don't need a nuclear sub with ballistic missiles to see the bottom of the ocean stabby, thats what civilians are for. But still, this is a coverup for something BIG.

10. Stab-o-Matic5000

No, but the ability to visually confirm an enemy submarine that your sonar doesn't pick up strikes me as a benefit.