• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nuclear Iran

dDave

V.I.P.
The thought of Iran gaining nuclear weapons has been in the news a lot in recent weeks. This is especially relevant given that Obama and other U.S. Officials are engaging in talks with Iran.

I think that even allowing Iran to get nukes would be a huge mistake. You can't reason with crazy. They want to blow Israel off of the map. I think it's embarrassing that our president is even considering allowing them to get nukes.

I'd be especially scared to see Russia give Iran nukes and form an alliance.

Thoughts on this subject?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
From what I understand, Russia already has a Mutual Defense pact with Iran. Don't know if Putin is quite crazy enough to lend out his nukes though. Mind you, if Russia decides what is being done to their economy by the West constitutes economic warfare, I suppose he could justify it... sort of. Politically I mean.

Obama's foreign policy is probably going to be like his foreigner (immigration) policy.. That being, allow everybody everything and to hell with the cost or consequences.

- Cham

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
Bear in mind, the average person in the street (in Iran) is not a deranged fundamentalist lunatic.
It's a predominantly young population that want and aspire to the same things Westerners do. But they're oppressed by their government.
As in all cases like this, the tail is wagging the dog. It's only a few unhinged politicians at the top stirring up confrontation.
I hope a peaceful solution can be found. there is always a way, if there is a will.

Stego

Registered Member
Iranians need energy. Americans need jobs.

Let's build solar panels and then sell them at a discount to people who live in the desert where the sun shines every day. BAM. Nuclear crisis averted. Calls their bluff, too.

I cannot believe the thought of even considering letting them have a little nuclear energy is on the table. NO ONE should be using nuclear, let alone Iran.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Between Russia and North Korea they will get it. Our only hope is to get them to come to an agreement on our terms and get UN inspectors in there so we can see exactly what they are doing. From what I've been reading this most likely will not happen and they are about 10 years away from getting a nuclear bomb as it is now.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/05/iran-nukes.html

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Iranians need energy. Americans need jobs.

Let's build solar panels and then sell them at a discount to people who live in the desert where the sun shines every day. BAM. Nuclear crisis averted. Calls their bluff, too.

I cannot believe the thought of even considering letting them have a little nuclear energy is on the table. NO ONE should be using nuclear, let alone Iran.
I agree wholeheartedly with this strategy. But the fact of the matter is, if they wanted solar power they would have built it already. What they want is NUKES. Every nation pretty much wants some NUKES in their back pocket so they have some political clout on the world stage and can't be pushed around by nuclear nations. The problem is that we can't trust that a nation whose leader has long been ranting to his countrymen about wiping Israel off the map is suddenly interested in peaceful use of nuclear technology. Rrrrright! Sure. Good story bro.

Use of efficient technology, well insulated buildings, and mass energy storage systems, can make solar energy, especially in desert regions, a real practical and sustainable solution to meeting energy needs. But who wants that when you can have NUKES? Even if they don't manage to get the NUKES happenin' they'll have everything they need for dirty bombs which can be every bit as bad. Of course, if terrorist groups supposedly unaffiliated with the Iranian gov't suddenly start using dirty bombs, on the global political stage it will just be "a coincidence" and Iran will have "plausible deniability". I can hardly wait.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Iran have a lot of earthquakes? If so not a good place for a nuclear power plant. We don't need another Fukushima.

dDave

V.I.P.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Iran have a lot of earthquakes? If so not a good place for a nuclear power plant. We don't need another Fukushima.
It's such a bad idea on a political/strategic front that I don't think most people even stopped to think about that, I know I sure didn't.

Iran is one of the biggest threats to our national security, the fact that our president would support the whole idea of Iran getting nuclear power and possibly weapons is beyond unthinkable. I think it's treasonous (even if not defined that way).

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's such a bad idea on a political/strategic front that I don't think most people even stopped to think about that, I know I sure didn't.

Iran is one of the biggest threats to our national security, the fact that our president would support the whole idea of Iran getting nuclear power and possibly weapons is beyond unthinkable. I think it's treasonous (even if not defined that way).
Seems they do have a lot of quakes. After reading this they have no business with a nuclear power plant.

Iran is one of the most seismically active countries in the world, being crossed by several major fault lines[1] that cover at least 90% of the country.[2] As a result, earthquakes in Iran occur often and are destructive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Iran
Didn't we always have sanctions against North Korea, yet they have nuclear weapons. Iran and North Korea are friends. Russia is friends with both if I'm not mistaken about that and I don't think I am.

I think the world would be better off without a nuclear Iran, even power plants but I don't think sanctions will stop them. We really need an agreement with them but on our terms.