Nowitzki fined $15,000 for flagrant foul on Gasol

S

scottmcgrady

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks returned to practice Wednesday with some good news from their training room and some bad news from the league office.

The NBA announced Wednesday that it was fining Dirk Nowitzki $15,000 and slapping him with a flagrant foul penalty two for a play against Memphis' Pau Gasol midway through the second quarter of Dallas' 102-76 victory Monday night that wrapped up a sweep of the first-round series.

Although only a personal foul was called at the time, the league reviewed the play and punished Nowitzki for "making unnecessary and excessive contact."

Nowitzki was called for a flagrant foul penalty one when he tried stopping Gasol on a drive with a minute left in overtime of Game 3. Replays clearly showed that he got the ball, an indication he wasn't merely going at Gasol, and the league has since rescinded it. That's important because flagrant points can add up to a suspension.
Read it all here

Not good news for Dirk Nowitzki. I think that guy has great potential and it shows how much they have progressed this season from beating Memphis easily. If you saw what happened, do you think that he deserves the fine?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah I saw what happened and yes it was a flagrant foul, but it wasn't that bad, I don't think he should of got fined, but I am glad at least that he didn't get suspended, but the head office needs to lay down the law and make sure things don't get out of hand, so in a way it's a good thing.

G

Godfather

Well, atleast it proved that Dirk is not soft. But the playoffs seems to be getting out of hand.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Let's not forget what there all playing for, the NBA championship. Players like Dirk will step up and play a more physichal game then he usually does cause he wants that trophy.