Not Just For Massachusetts Anymore: California Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
This is good news. Eventually gay marriage will be legal everywhere, and everyone will wonder what at all the fuss was ever about. I look forward to that, and hope it happens in my lifetime.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This is good news. Eventually gay marriage will be legal everywhere, and everyone will wonder what at all the fuss was ever about. I look forward to that, and hope it happens in my lifetime.
Well, I was going to say there would be many States that would never go for it and then list examples and why. But, you know, in the course of a lifetime, you might be right. Not exactly what I would want, but if a group of judges decide to push it through what can you do?

Bliss

Sally Twit
I'm with Cons... Who cares about your sexuality? Marriage is for love right, so mind your own fucking business.

I'm disappointed, California. And I live there! The voters voted for it and the court overturn it. How the hell is that democracy?

Not only that, but I'm against gay marriage. Nothing against the gays/lesbians I just don't believe you should get married to the same sex under God. If you take religion and God out of the mix and call the ceremony a Civil Union I wouldn't mind. I just don't think you should disrespect God or the word. A Civil Union that has all the advantages and disadvantages of a normal marriage - minus religion, classic marriages - then that would be fine.

Steerpike

Registered Member
I'm disappointed, California. And I live there! The voters voted for it and the court overturn it. How the hell is that democracy?
If all adults ought to be treated equally before the law, then all adults ought to have equal rights before the law. If all adults ought to have equal rights before the law, then no one ought to be able to deprive anyone of equal rights before the law. If no one ought to be able to deprive anyone of equal rights before the law, then the rights of minorities ought not be subject to majority approval or disapproval. All adults ought to be treated equally before the law. Therefore, the rights of minorities ought not be subject to majority approval or disapproval.

I'm going to employ my libertarian ideology and restate the obvious: why do you care who marries who? If person X marries person Y is it really your business?

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
viLky said:
The voters voted for it and the court overturn it. How the hell is that democracy?
America is a constitutional democracy, and a California law that conflicts with the California state constitution, is no law at all, by law.

viLky said:
If you take religion and God out of the mix and call the ceremony a Civil Union I wouldn't mind.
You do realize you can have a secular marriage in a courthouse, right? There's been nothing essentially religious about marriage for quite some time now. In fact, I can perform a marriage in most states, since I'm an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church, via my filling out an online form several years back. :)

Last edited: