• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Not Everyone Loves Huckabee - the man is a fraud who will raise taxes and spending

T

Truth-Bringer

Not Everyone Loves Huckabee

By Donald Lambro

Monday, December 3, 2007

WASHINGTON -- It is very rare, if not unheard of, to catch a presidential candidate, especially a Republican, in the act of saying he or she would be willing to sign any tax increase that lawmakers wished for.

But that's what happened to former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who has rocketed to a statistical tie in Iowa with Mitt Romney, largely as a result of the former Baptist minister's support from evangelical voters in the nation's first caucus state.

The Club for Growth, an effective tax-cut advocacy group, has been on Huckabee's back almost from the beginning of his candidacy, sending out e-mail blasts to party conservatives that paint an abominable picture of his record on taxes.

Huckabee has been campaigning as a tax cutter, and indeed he did slash some state taxes during his two terms as governor, but he raised far more than he cut. The Cato Institute, which monitors the fiscal records of the nation's governors, gave him a poor-to-failing grade on spending and taxes.

The Club for Growth has also examined his tax and spend record and found it wanting. Its verdict: Huckabee could not be trusted to hold the line on taxes, let alone push it back.

Rest of Article Here

Huckabee's Son Arrested on Weapons Charge at Airport

Little Rock (AP) - Presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee's son, David, has been given one year’s probation after being arrested for having a gun in a prohibited area Thursday morning.

Twenty-six-year-old David Huckabee was taken into custody at Little Rock National Airport at about 6:00 a.m. A 40-caliber handgun was found in Huckabee's carry-on luggage as he was getting ready to board a plane.

Rest of Article Here

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I find Huckabee interesting. He's a member of the religious right that doesn't strike me as generally intolerable. Probably because he just seems pretty laid back. He's got the character of an empathetic local preacher, as opposed to a fire and brimstone Pat Robertson type. I'd never vote for him, of course, but his sense of humor and lack of macho posturing is pretty refreshing.

One good thing about Huckabee is the fact that he isn't automatically averse to environmentalism. Sure, he doesn't seem to know jack about the science, but he does recognize that what we have a responsibility to take care of a planet that our children will someday inherit. His outlook on that and other things seems to be far more in line with the Bible than the Gipper.

That said, Huckabee is a member of the religious right, and is firmly against abortion, gay marriage, and even advocates teaching creationism in science classrooms. He also seems to be pretty ignorant when it comes to science. His heart is definitely in the right place, and he's probably a pretty intelligent guy, but he just doesn't strike me as being knowledgeable enough to be president.

pitcrawler

Increasing tax is not a bad thing in every case. Large American corporations deserve to be taxed much more than they are now. Do that then you can afford to lower taxes for the poor.

As an example: I just read today that the Lockheed-Martin corporation only get taxed at 7.7% compared to an individual's tax of ~20%.

Unfortunately this will probably never happen as US corporations have the government under their control. You wouldn't want to hurt a company who practically paid your way to the presidency. ;)

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
pitcrawler said:
Increasing tax is not a bad thing in every case. Large American corporations deserve to be taxed much more than they are now. Do that then you can afford to lower taxes for the poor.
I agree with you on this. We have to pay for our government somehow, and taxes are one of the ways we do that. Which isn't to say that increasing taxes is always good, clearly that isn't the case, but sometimes they need to be raised. There's only so much money we can borrow from China. I don't know enough about how corporations and the like are taxed, and what impact it has on them, to say that they should necessarily be raised for them; but intuitively it doesn't seem to be a bad idea. Since a corporation counts as a person for all other purposes, shouldn't they be taxed as any other person is taxed?