Nostalgic smells

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AngelsPeak, Aug 6, 2008.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Is there a certain smell that takes you back to a time you miss or wish you could recreate?

For me it's the smell of a wood burning fireplace. It'll always bring the anticipation of fall, and happy Christmas mornings back to the forefront of my mind.

2. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

When it Rains out there's this fresh wet smell in the air. It takes me back to the time before I worked during the summer where when it rains I would fall asleep to it. It was the best sound it the world. The night air where I live has a taste of fall in it. You can always smell it when September is not far off.

3. Corona

Corona Registered Member

A special kind of mushroom that grows in Tennessee. I used to pick them as a kid and then my uncle would fry them, the smell was very distinct. Reminds me of living on their farm.

4. EndWinterRomance

EndWinterRomance PREGGERS

werid as it is, the smell of hair dye just brings me back to highschool and hanging out with my friends, dying our hair in the bathrooms while skipping class... good times good times

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

The smell of slightly moldy/dusty drawers takes me back to my original Atari and NES. I kept them in an old cabinet.

Only a specific smell takes me back though. Not just any moldy/dusty smell. And I'm sure the smell of whatever type of wood it was is part of the combination.

Good thread though. I've always been interested in the effect smells have on memory. There are other smells that take me back but I usually only remember them if I just smelled them. Sometimes it's just a feeling, not necessarily a specific memory either.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Smell of library: old and new books. Reminds me of school days when I'd find solace in the school library while everyone wants to hang out elsewhere. It's very peaceful. I enjoy this period of solitude from society and love affair with the books.

7. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

That's one of mine as well Ysabel. In fact I went into a newly discovered used bookstore after work today, and the wonderful smell of books assaulted my senses as soon as I walked in the door.
    I told the charmfully crusty old man behind the counter how lucky he was to be able to enjoy that smell each day and he agreed wholeheartedly. (after telling me about his 27 ailments that keep him from enjoying it all of the time:lol:)

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Gotta love small talk. :p

9. Threefeathers

Threefeathers Registered Member

I find lots of cooking smells take me back to my childhood when my beloved Grandmother would cook all manner of delicious treats for me..:)

10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Fire. Reminds me of my camping trips.