Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Herr Gestalt, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Herr Gestalt

Herr Gestalt Guest

Life is a series of progressions, from the minor second to second changes to major life decisions; "phases," rituals, shifts of world view. Many people of all ages look back on earlier periods with a sense of nostalgia. Topic: Is dwelling on the past useless or a healthy part of growth? i.e. Remembering our past can help us learn, but if we view it negatively (because we miss it, for example), does that hold us back? Is there a significant difference between regret and nostalgia?

2. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I would say the answer depends on whether you mean nostagia in a reflective sense or as a means of dwelling obsessively on unchangable past events or life cycles. If it's the former I believe that it's an essential part of our lifes progression. We need to have those memories to shape us as we draw from them for intellectual growth. The latter, as in all obsessive behavior, is a deterrant to our lifes progression.

Hoosier.

3. Herr Gestalt

Herr Gestalt Guest

I guess I hadn't thought of the ambiguity of the definition - thanks. Additionally: Is there a purpose to regret? Is it a feeling designed to teach us a lesson (we'll avoid that feeling in the future), and therefore one that should be heeded? Or does it always hold one back?

There's probably no black or white answer because each person goes through these sensations differently, and the experiences that merit them are also variable - but I'll put it out there.

4. breathilizer

breathilizer Resident Ass-Kisser

I don't see a problem with nostalgia. Memories of the past help guide us into the future.

5. eric

eric Guest

I don't remember who, but a wise man once said, "Those who fail to learn from hisotry are bound to repeat it."

6. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

Well, like I said it depends on which definition of nostagia you choose to apply.

Nostalgia can also be defined as a psyciatric condition, having a negative implication.

Hoosier.

7. Hinata

Hinata La Coquette

Well in the sense of using the past to shape our future. Such as looking back on mistakes made by parents or ourselves it is healthy. I mean how can you know where you are going if you don't know or remember where you came from.

I mean some people do allow their past to control them and therefore they throw themselves into a never ending cycle of depression and regret. And sorry for them it doesn't want to end. They are in a sense hilding themselves back because they have never let go. I think that come in the form of people lives many ways even in the form a grief. Which can also, if taken to an extreme, be unhealthy.

8. Taitu

Taitu Guest

I suppose that it really depends on what you are regretting, and WHEN you regret it. An example being, If it is a goal you have not completed yet, regret can be a good thing. You will want to try and complete that goal with all your might. Of course, the when factor comes in here. If you are regretting this when you are on your death bed, there is not much you can do about it. It will just make you a depressed person for the rest of your days.

9. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

I agree with Taitu that it depends a lot on when and what you are feeling nostalgia for, and also to what degree you're letting it affect you. If you let the thoughts of something consume you, and refuse to let yourself move on because of it, it's a bad thing. However, there can be times where thinking about the past and feeling nostalgia can be an emotionally cleansing experience. If you don't let yourself feel about something, there's no way of ever reliving the experience in a more positive manner (except perhaps by chance), but if you let yourself think about things and consider the emotions doing so brings you, you can better judge how to make the situation better the next time.

Knowing history and feeling nostalgia for something are two entirely different things...

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think Eric meant that nostalgia is good because we learn from it, thus, if you don't learn from history you will repeat it. Makes sense to me.

My opinion is nothing new really. I think that it's good to forgive but you should never forget. Drifting up and down memory lane from time to time is a good thing, but memory lane is a dodgy street. Sometimes, you get lost in those memories and can't get out and you end up living them out day after day because you couldn't let go.

Basically, memories can destroy you from the inside but they can help you as well.