• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

North Korea's nuclear reactor re-start

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Russia said on Thursday that North Korea was apparently conducting work on a nuclear reactor, warning that the ageing facility was in such a “nightmarish state” it could cause a disaster.

Russian concerned about North Korea’s ‘nightmarish’ nuclear reactor re-start | The Raw Story
That's all we need is for the NK to restart this old reactor then it have a melt down and there is evidence they are trying to do so. I don't blame the Russians for being concerned about it or anyone in the area. The design of this thing dates back to the 1950's and considering the age it can't be in very good shape or safe.

North Korea restarts plutonium reactor: analysts | The Raw Story

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It was built in 1986 on a 30 year old design. No one is sure if they're actually going to re-start the reactor or they're just making some tests.

I have a feeling there will be a nuclear disaster if they try to restart this thing. I'm sure the U.N. will be pretty pissed, too.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thanks for clarifying when it was built. It still can't be good because of the old design. Plus the fact with sanctions against them how could they of kept up with proper maintenance on it. I'm hoping they are at least smart enough to know restarting it isn't a good idea. I'm not going to count on it though.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Restarting the reactor would be a massive PR boost locally for North Korea. It gives them one more thing to use to brainwash their people. Safety isn't nearly as important as keeping their own people in check.