• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

North American State

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I have read for a long time about academics who support a single North American currency and government. Lately, I've notices the talk has really heated up. Friday on the front page of yahoo finance, there was an article about the possible Amero that would be a single currency, there have been 2 NYT best selling books just released that talked about this: One from Glenn Beck another from Pat Buchanan, the former President of Mexico said he and Bush worked on it, the dollar recently hit parity with the Canadian dollar and stabilized(not coincidental).

So, all to say this. I think we will see the proposal for some sort of union before Bush leaves office. That has happened before on politically hot treaties. So, what do you think? Are you ready for one big country and everything that means?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
An "Amero" wouldn't mean one big country at all. I doubt the US would be for joining with Canada and Mexico. Canada MAYBE, but, there is SO much crime and poverty in Mexico that it's not even funny. That's a problem that the US doesn't need to get involved in.

In Mexico there are hundreds of people kidnapped every year. 1 out of 7 of these people are killed by their captors in the end, which is even worse than Columbia where kidnapping is also running rampant.

Mexico kidnappings among deadliest - Americas - MSNBC.com

I'm pretty sure we don't want to even consider taking on all of their problems when we can't even handle our own as it is.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I'm not sure how long you can have one w/o the other. I certainly don't think we will dissolve, but in order to have free currency, there has to be some governance. And I do think we will be told we "need" Mexico. Cheap labor, lots of oil and a trade route to Central America.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
And every single Mexican citizen being able to travel anywhere in the US without having to check in anywhere.

Good luck getting them all to buy liability insurance for their vehicles. It would be a nightmare. It would be the worst mistake in US history.

CaliforniaSteve

Registered Member
I dont see Canada agreeing with that. Thier economy is at its highest point in 52 years or so. I dont see them wanting to team up with our stuggling economy at the moment. That, and America cutting off the perscription drug trade probably didnt make too many Canadian businesses happy.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This is what i see is in it for Canada. Most of their exports go to us. A strong Canadian dollar sucks for them because they essentially get less looneys for American Dollars. They also have the world's biggest oil field. Well, its tar sands, but is bigger than anything else. For whatever reason, they need our technology and infrastructure to get it out. Tar sands are a b---ch to mine.

A strong currency is only strong compared to the US Dollar. A strong looney actually a weak US Dollar. Faced with trading oil and timber in falling dollars or trading in Ameros, I think they will jump at the Amero.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maybe Canada and the US, but NOT Mexico. Mexico has MUCH more to gain than Canada and the US have if Mexico is in on the deal.

Either way I'm not for it at all. The US doesn't need Canada or Mexico, and if we do we can trade with them. We don't have to become one...

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I can see Canada, USA, and Mexico forming a North American Union with one currency and whatever else like the European Union, but it's never going to become one country.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Maybe Canada and the US, but NOT Mexico. Mexico has MUCH more to gain than Canada and the US have if Mexico is in on the deal.

Either way I'm not for it at all. The US doesn't need Canada or Mexico, and if we do we can trade with them. We don't have to become one...
I agree completely about we don't need to join up with anyone. There are powerful people that want it though and it makes you wonder if the American people ca stop it. That reminds me, I recently read a quote from Rockafella that talked about this ad how his family has supported it for years. Very interesting.

What makes me mad is we obviously need to be energy independent. And it seems that rather than pursue it in our own interest with more drilling, alternative fuels, wind, solar, ocean power, etc... there are people in power that would rather solve the problem by joining with Canada and Mexico. I'm not a conspiracy nut, but it just seems we are being sold down the river when it comes to this one dollar system, the border and one government

====================================Next Post=====================================

Just read an article from the "Canadian Warren Buffet" explaining the need for the Amero from Canda's point of view:

----------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Jarislowsky, a billionaire money manager and investor the Canadian newspaper Globe and Mail bills as the Canadian Warren Buffet, has told a parliamentary committee Canada and the United States both should abandon their national dollar currencies and move to a regional North American currency as soon as possible.

"I think we have to really seriously start thinking of the model of a continental currency just like Europe," Jarislowsky told the Canadian House of Commons' finance committee, according to the Globe and Mail in Toronto.

Jarislowsky's call for immediate action belied an article published in the Boston Globe on Sunday that said the call for the amero to become the new North American regional currency was "purely theoretical."

In an exclusive telephone interview with WND, Jarislowsky repeated his call for a European Union-style currency to be created between Canada and the United States.

"The idea would be a European Union-type set-up," Jarislowsky said, "with a North American Central Bank that would issue the new currency and sit over the Bank of Canada and the Federal Reserve Bank in the United States."

"An alternative would be to create a peg on the U.S. dollar which would allow the Bank of Canada to adjust the Canadian dollar in a 5 percent plus or minus range, based on the fluctuation in value of the U.S. dollar," he explained.

Still, Jarislowsky was less confident the U.S. dollar peg would work.

"The Bank of Canada only pinpoints inflation," he told WND. "My idea would be to have the Bank of Canada manage the Canadian dollar with a view both to inflation and the U.S. dollar. The Bank of Canada has never been very receptive to this idea."

Jarislowsky insisted Canada was going to be forced to do something because the increased value of the Canadian dollar vis-à-vis the U.S. dollar was likely to depress business activity in Canada and cause a recession.

"Two-thirds of the Canadian economy is tied to the U.S. economy," Jarislowsky pointed out. "Some 85 percent of our exports are headed for the U.S. market. Our economy is tied to the U.S. dollar, whether we like it or not."

In an interview published with the Globe and Mail, Jarislowsky emphasized the likely adverse impact on the Canadian economy triggered by the rise in the value of the Canadian dollar.

"We don't have a single mill in Canada which isn't losing cash at the current exchange rate despite the fact we invested hundreds of millions in dollars into new equipment when we had the money," Jarislowsky said.

"I believe that if we stay at the present levels, the entire forest products industry practically is going to be in liquidation-bankruptcy and there's going to be an enormous loss of employment," he continued.

Jarislowsky told the House of Commons finance committee that a regional North American currency would reduce the adverse currency exchange risk being experienced in Canada since the Canadian dollar has risen more than 20 percent against the U.S. dollar this year.

Jarislowsky brushed aside stated opposition from the Canadian Finance Department, including a negative recommendation to Finance Minister Jim Flaherty because of concerns a common North American currency would mean an erosion of sovereignty for Canada.

"I know Finance Minister Flaherty quite well," Jarislowsky told WND. "Sure, first he will have to deny he is taking seriously the idea of a new currency, then later he will come out and say he was forced to create one anyway."

Jarislowsky insisted he made very seriously the suggestion to create a euro-style currency for North America.

"Pretty soon, the Finance Ministry will have no choice but to create a new currency," Jarislowsky argued, "unless the Canadian dollar all of a sudden changes course and reverses against the U.S. dollar all on its own."

"In the provinces we are already seeing economic activity slowdown because of the rise in value of the Canadian dollar," he insisted. "If our automobile and lumber industries begin to decline, we will have a serious recession as a result."

"The Finance Ministry knows how closely our economy in Canada is tied to the U.S. market," he continued. "A common currency would avoid the problems we are now facing with currency exchange risk added to the normal risks of doing business."

Last edited: