• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Question Non US members: how well do you know US geography?

OriginalPhil

Registered Member
Hey guys,

I'm painfully ignorant when it comes to U.K. geography. I can point to London, Edinburgh, and Belfast, but I had no idea where in Wales Cardiff was located until looking at a map tonight. Other than that, I know practically nothing about where cities and ceremonial counties are in the U.K. and would even have to guess where Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow lie on a map (terrible, I know).

The reason I ask this is because it seems like most people I talk to from the U.K. know more about U.S. geography than the majority of my fellow Americans do. This baffles me.

The same goes for Canadians, but that's a little more understandable since most of the NHL teams are here :) .

Members outside of the U.S.: On a scale from 1-10, how well do you know U.S. geography and where did you learn what you know from (school, television programmes, etc)?

Members inside of the U.S.: On a scale from 1-10, how well do you know the U.K.'s geography (including Northern Ireland) and where did you learn what you know (school, television shows, etc)?

1= Can't find country on globe
10=Can locate every ceremonial county or U.S. state (and name the state capital city) on a map

I'd rate myself a somewhere between a 2.5 and 3 in U.K. Geography (being generous to myself) and an 8.5 in US geography.

Please prove me wrong so I can feel better about living in a bubble lol.

Thanks for reading.
Phil

dDave

V.I.P.
I'll go ahead and give myself a 6 on the UK. I've never been there, that would obviously help, but I have had plenty of time to look at a map.

I've taken history classes that had a heavy focus on events that happened in Europe (which includes the UK) and everything was always marked very well. I also watch a LOT of Top Gear, they're constantly doing races and traveling places, they always show a map, so that helps me know where things are.

I'm a perfect 10 on U.S. geography though, that stuff is easy.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I would say 5 on UK - I know most of the main cities and a lot of smaller ones too but there's a few big places where I'd be embarrassed to admit I don't know exactly where they are. I've definitely improved in recent years but only through my own driving around and looking at a map... school taught me next to nothing.

US - again, school taught me nothing. But you're right, I know US states like the back of my hand compared to UK counties :lol: And I'm pretty good with capitals too. I used to know them all but without practice I'd say around an 8.5 too.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I can't even show you where I am on a map, so the odds of me pointing out the US are very slim.

For some reason, I found the subject very boring in school and I never thought to teach myself when I left.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Hey guys,

I'm painfully ignorant when it comes to U.K. geography. I can point to London, Edinburgh, and Belfast, but I had no idea where in Wales Cardiff was located until looking at a map tonight. Other than that, I know practically nothing about where cities and ceremonial counties are in the U.K. and would even have to guess where Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow lie on a map (terrible, I know).

The reason I ask this is because it seems like most people I talk to from the U.K. know more about U.S. geography than the majority of my fellow Americans do. This baffles me.

The same goes for Canadians, but that's a little more understandable since most of the NHL teams are here :) .

Members outside of the U.S.: On a scale from 1-10, how well do you know U.S. geography and where did you learn what you know from (school, television programmes, etc)?

Members inside of the U.S.: On a scale from 1-10, how well do you know the U.K.'s geography (including Northern Ireland) and where did you learn what you know (school, television shows, etc)?

1= Can't find country on globe
10=Can locate every ceremonial county or U.S. state (and name the state capital city) on a map

I'd rate myself a somewhere between a 2.5 and 3 in U.K. Geography (being generous to myself) and an 8.5 in US geography.

Please prove me wrong so I can feel better about living in a bubble lol.

Thanks for reading.
Phil
6 for the US

I know where it is in the map. I know major places/states because I've lived or visited there. But some areas of the US I don't know where they're exactly (I could tell if they're in the East or West coast though). The only time I look at the US map is during US presidential elections - while waiting for results. :hah:

I can't even show you where I am on a map, so the odds of me pointing out the US are very slim.

For some reason, I found the subject very boring in school and I never thought to teach myself when I left.
:lol:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
For the US I knew all the States and their capitals by the age of 6 so I'd say I am a 10 outta 10 on that one haha

As far as the UK goes, we didn't learn about the specifics in school as far as I can remember. Now that I've been there I can definitely say I know more than before. I can name where a lot of major cities are located but overall I'd say a 6? Or so?

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
hey you can't be more than me in my own country that's not fair :lol:

I think I know UK better than I think I do. It helped having friends go to different universities up and down the country as well. I learned a load more from doing research on where to study (aka moving as far away from home as possible. just kidding...).

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I can point out many places in Australia where I live. I'm pretty good at Geography here. I'd say about 7 or 8 out of 10. I can point out all the cities, states, large towns etc.

When it comes to the US I'd say maybe about 4 or 5. I could point out places like New York, California, Washington. And a few other places like areas in Florida and Texas but after that I hardly know anything.

OriginalPhil

Registered Member
Thanks for all the responses, guys. It's interesting to find out how much others know about local and international geography. Perhaps even more interesting than the topic of geography itself lol. I'm a bit envious of my fellow GF members' map skills :)

I also realized that I really need to invest in a globe (and catch up on Top Gear UK). It's not just the UK where I'm geographically challenged, but France, Australia and the rest of the world too. Seems like a good excuse for an around-the-world vacation!

Impact

V.I.P.
Having recently road tripped America, I feel I probably know it better than the UK. Well, the east coast anyway. I'm actually terrible at UK geography, despite having lived here half my life. So, US i'll give myself a 7. UK i'll give myself a 6.