Non-Americans don't understand American ideals

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, Sep 21, 2008.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I am beginning to believe more and more the reason a lot of non-Americans do not understand American politics is because they don't understand basic American ideals of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights is something we hold dear here in America. We're one of the few nations that have such a unique rock solid system of rights. Many non-Americans I believe do not take this factor into account when debating politics with an American, be it conservative or liberal. How they are viewed by either side is a different story, but the fact is Americans understand our Constitution and what it means. Both sides of the American political spectrum understand the basic fundamental rights of our nation. This makes debating with a non-American about American politics and ideals next to impossible since non-Americans don't have the basic understanding and foundation of American ideals.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think it's just like any non-*insert country here* debating *same country's* politics. Unless you've spent time there or done extensive research, you really can't discuss it well.

3. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

My example is from based on Bananas ideals. He obviously does not believe in self defense, and I'm sure a majority of Brits are that way. "It's better to give in then fight". That is his view and that is fine, he is entitled to it. What I don't think he is able to grasp is as Americans we as a culture understand the right of self-defense. It is something that is embedded in our nation that isn't embedded in England. This is why I believe he and I do not see eye to eye on many self defense and gun rights issues. It has nothing to do with what he believes, it has to do with him being a non-American not understanding our belief in self-defense.

4. Merc

No offense, but the use of "our" is kind of dangerous here. Not all Americans believe that. You do also have to realize that our history is based on war and revolution, a lot of it. So our people will tend to be warlike.

EndWinterRomance likes this.
  5. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

It always seems to be the guns when other countries have an issue.

6. Merc

America promotes bad media on guns, it's why we have problems and it's why so many people want guns out. Americans owned guns for a long time without serious gun crime problems, so the question becomes what have we done in the last 100 years that have transformed them into such symbols of power and respect?

7. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

the irony of this statement in the context of this thread kills me.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

How does this explain those who do not agree with you on self defense and gun rights issues, but are American?

9. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I will chalk up this post to "American-ignorance" and I apologize to any foreigners who read the original post.

Pro2a I think most Americans do not understand other nation's governments because they do not even bother trying.

Most Americans cannot name the bill of rights nor do they have any knowledge of our constitutional rights.

Most foreigners testing for U.S. citizenship know more than the average American.

Our system is not as unique as it would seem most nations have constitutions and are set up like Republics just like ours.

10. Merc

That's a pretty arrogant post, Swift. The whole "Don't worry, I'll clean up your mess you little moron" thing is pretty low. Did you even read the first post? Pro2a may not have made very fair assumptions, but he brought up a reasonable question being is it possible for foreigners to debate American issues without actually living here? It can go the other way, too, can Americans debate foreign politics truly without living there? It makes sense, because isn't there a degree of experience that is needed when it comes to discussing these things?