• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nobody is smart. We are all idiots.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Me and You. That guy over there. Some other dude. That cow. That siren. That person. That thing. That slob etc etc.

We are all grade 1-A-1 morons, spacks and pillocks. Idiots and buffoons.

And we are. A bunch of imbeciles. Fruitlessly chasing something. A higher knowledge, a pointless interest. A sickening fantasy. A higher level of being.

Often set forth through being 'articulate' or 'cultured' swarming about spouting nonsense, that in the end should concern nobody. Except other idiots, which is probably what it does.

*Oh, so the world works like that does it? You mean, we exist because of that? Oh right, spellbinding. -- Or a load of nonsense. A load of idiotic nonsense.
I'm going to university, I'm going to make everybody else proud and happy, except myself because I hate psychology.
I've just discovered the 'big bang' theory. I'm so important, because everybody needs to know how they were made, because that's going to affect how they buy their milk in the mor(o)ning.

--

People are idiots. And not just some of the time. All of the time. They walk about with their heads on and their goals set --- Yet it is baffliing.
They are idiots. I admit I am one, no matter how much trivia I can spout, or how many pub quizzes I have won. I am an idiot. And so is everybody else. Including you... Especially me. And no, you're not even a smart idiot, you are just an idiot. Through and through, the shit you do may be very fun and cool (and thank God it is) but the shit you think is just utter fucking stupidity. And so is what I think---

So, please discuss the point, in a general setting:
All people are idiots.

This is not meant to offend. It is a general idea.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

So basically the way I read the OP is, you're just upping the status quo for "Smart" and thus the average line thus becomes the "idiot" line. To excel above the idiot line one must only find a way to separate themselves from the masses. But in doing so are also bound by the confines that the label "Smart" is still dictated by what the "idiots" agree upon. So at any given point the "Smartest" person may not in fact be that, they just may be the most manipulative.

I disagree....

I believe instead that we're like a Colony of Bees. There are those meant to be in a position of leadership (the Queens), those meant to work (the workers) and those meant to protect (the warriors). Although unlike bees, we are not born into those roles, instead we have the ability to all be born at the same status, a blank chalkboard. And what you do in that life will dictate what you become. I do not believe we're all "idiots" bound to be born as Workers. Instead I believe that we are all born at average, with the ability to be a worker... but the desire to be a Queen. And how much we apply ourselves in life will dictate whether or not we can rise above status quo.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

So basically the way I read the OP is, you're just upping the status quo for "Smart" and thus the average line thus becomes the "idiot" line. To excel above the idiot line one must only find a way to separate themselves from the masses. But in doing so are also bound by the confines that the label "Smart" is still dictated by what the "idiots" agree upon. So at any given point the "Smartest" person may not in fact be that, they just may be the most manipulative.

I disagree....

I believe instead that we're like a Colony of Bees. There are those meant to be in a position of leadership (the Queens), those meant to work (the workers) and those meant to protect (the warriors). Although unlike bees, we are not born into those roles, instead we have the ability to all be born at the same status, a blank chalkboard. And what you do in that life will dictate what you become. I do not believe we're all "idiots" bound to be born as Workers. Instead I believe that we are all born at average, with the ability to be a worker... but the desire to be a Queen. And how much we apply ourselves in life will dictate whether or not we can rise above status quo.
I am not upping the line for 'smart'. I am saying there is no such thing as being smart. Everything is base set at 'idiot'. In general. Everybody is an idiot.

I mean, who states that the position of 'queen' is the smartest? I certainly didn't. And I suspect that an idiot did. --- And those that didn't are still idiots.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I can't find my car keys anywhere.
To clarify, I was agreeing in that post with OP's premise. I really have lost the effing things and it does remind me that I'm in many ways very stoopie. It's been five days now; the Sebring's filthy dirty and I'm taking all my meals at the corner Mickey D's. I don't need anybody to tell me that I'm an idjit!

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Someone has been reading Camus.....

But does a sense of purpose make us idiots? Does ambition make us idiots? Are we not allowed to aspire to something better? or is it hopeless? Or is it an absurdity?

No, we are not idiots. we are endowed with a special gift, and that is intelligence. We have realized we can improve ourselves whenever we wanted to. A sense of a way to better ourselves.

Icegoat put the Bee analogy very well. Those who are queen bees, worker bees, and warrior bees. Born rolls. Like he said, we can do as we please to better ourselves. And how does that make us idiots?

wolfy

Registered Member
I believe the human animal is unique compared to other animals in 3 ways:
- Creating weakness in other animals
- Chasing a desire to be 'happy'
- Living in time instead of moments

Intelligence is neither something unique to humanity nor something that always eludes it. In my view, anyway.

I'm curious to see why OP only targets humans with the 'idiot' label..

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Collectively, we're everything: idiots, angels, brain eaters and beacons of light. We have the statistical and linguistic latitude to characterize humanity as either smart or stupid. It comes down, then, in final analysis, to arbitrary choice; and with that understood, we can ask ourselves the next logical question: which of the two perspectives avails us more?

Last edited:

MiloIsYum

Registered Member
Me and You. That guy over there. Some other dude. That cow. That siren. That person. That thing. That slob etc etc.

We are all grade 1-A-1 morons, spacks and pillocks. Idiots and buffoons.

And we are. A bunch of imbeciles. Fruitlessly chasing something. A higher knowledge, a pointless interest. A sickening fantasy. A higher level of being.

Often set forth through being 'articulate' or 'cultured' swarming about spouting nonsense, that in the end should concern nobody. Except other idiots, which is probably what it does.

*Oh, so the world works like that does it? You mean, we exist because of that? Oh right, spellbinding. -- Or a load of nonsense. A load of idiotic nonsense.
I'm going to university, I'm going to make everybody else proud and happy, except myself because I hate psychology.
I've just discovered the 'big bang' theory. I'm so important, because everybody needs to know how they were made, because that's going to affect how they buy their milk in the mor(o)ning.

--

People are idiots. And not just some of the time. All of the time. They walk about with their heads on and their goals set --- Yet it is baffliing.
They are idiots. I admit I am one, no matter how much trivia I can spout, or how many pub quizzes I have won. I am an idiot. And so is everybody else. Including you... Especially me. And no, you're not even a smart idiot, you are just an idiot. Through and through, the shit you do may be very fun and cool (and thank God it is) but the shit you think is just utter fucking stupidity. And so is what I think---

So, please discuss the point, in a general setting:
All people are idiots.

This is not meant to offend. It is a general idea.
Look up the definition of 'smart' and 'idiot'.

From what I've read, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying that people are idiots, and therefor are not smart. Being smart is not the opposite of being an idiot; by somebody being an idiot(defined as either somebody who is foolish, or somebody with a mental retardation below three years), that does not rule out the possibility that they could be smart.

And also, again correct me if I'm wrong, but when I read your post, I could not for the life of me figure out why you believe what you're saying. I get that you're saying people are idiots for all the various reasons you mentioned, but how does chasing something like a higher knowledge, an interest, fantasy or whatever make us idiots? Is it because we die in the end anyway, so to you it seems pointless?

It's called life. Yes, it might seem pointless to a cynical person, but those of us without that view on life, such as myself (and I am speaking only for myself here when I say this) believe in quality of life. If we're going to be on this earth for 70 odd years, we might as well enjoy it. By doing what we can to improve life, and enjoy it doesn't make us foolish.

Everything is the way it is because of these 'imbeciles' fruitlessly chasing something, and going to university and finding out how the world is the way it is. It might not be 'spellbinding' to you, but it certainly doesn't make people idiots.

Until you can prove that discovering the big bang theory hasn't affected how people buy milk in the morning - HalfEatenSurprise = 0

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
If all people are idiots, what do you say of the other animals?
They play no part in this point. They have no standing in this.
------
Someone has been reading Camus.....

But does a sense of purpose make us idiots? Does ambition make us idiots? Are we not allowed to aspire to something better? or is it hopeless? Or is it an absurdity?

No, we are not idiots. we are endowed with a special gift, and that is intelligence. We have realized we can improve ourselves whenever we wanted to. A sense of a way to better ourselves.

Icegoat put the Bee analogy very well. Those who are queen bees, worker bees, and warrior bees. Born rolls. Like he said, we can do as we please to better ourselves. And how does that make us idiots?
We are idiots for simply thinking of these things. And those who haven't thought are still idiots, because those who would have thought would consider them so.
------
I believe the human animal is unique compared to other animals in 3 ways:
- Creating weakness in other animals
- Chasing a desire to be 'happy'
- Living in time instead of moments

Intelligence is neither something unique to humanity nor something that always eludes it. In my view, anyway.

I'm curious to see why OP only targets humans with the 'idiot' label..
I am only referring to humans, and human thought. All of which is idiotic.

Although, seeing as you ask --- To be honest, animals are probably smarter because they seemingly just do stuff and fulfil their lives (which appears to be smart, to me), whereas humans have to dwell and propose and think. Which is idiotic, because most thought seems idiotic, and pointless or centred on something they believe to be crucial but is not. Including mine, I am an idiot, and I am totally happy with it.

All humans are idiots, which is not to say it is a bad thing, but simply goes to say, that all human endeavour to learn more about the world is a load of idiotic nonsense and drivel... You may try to convince me otherwise, but you'll just be an idiot in my eyes. --- win-win. Or lose?
------
Look up the definition of 'smart' and 'idiot'.

From what I've read, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying that people are idiots, and therefor are not smart. Being smart is not the opposite of being an idiot; by somebody being an idiot(defined as either somebody who is foolish, or somebody with a mental retardation below three years), that does not rule out the possibility that they could be smart.

And also, again correct me if I'm wrong, but when I read your post, I could not for the life of me figure out why you believe what you're saying. I get that you're saying people are idiots for all the various reasons you mentioned, but how does chasing something like a higher knowledge, an interest, fantasy or whatever make us idiots? Is it because we die in the end anyway, so to you it seems pointless?

It's called life. Yes, it might seem pointless to a cynical person, but those of us without that view on life, such as myself (and I am speaking only for myself here when I say this) believe in quality of life. If we're going to be on this earth for 70 odd years, we might as well enjoy it. By doing what we can to improve life, and enjoy it doesn't make us foolish.

Everything is the way it is because of these 'imbeciles' fruitlessly chasing something, and going to university and finding out how the world is the way it is. It might not be 'spellbinding' to you, but it certainly doesn't make people idiots.

Until you can prove that discovering the big bang theory hasn't affected how people buy milk in the morning - HalfEatenSurprise = 0
Definitions: An idiot made those up, and to read into them pedantically and carefully is furthermore idiotic.

Believe what I'm saying? Well, for all you know this could be a wanton observation, or I could believe it. I did not clarfiy the point. Either way, I would suggest that I am an idiot which I know I am, and for you to address such a stupid point would make you one too.

Death. Yes, that would contribute to my idea of us being idiots, but that's not just so. It's also backed up by people having wasted their lives over it. Seeking the higher causes and the better standings in life only to end up dead, having discovered irrelevant crap for mankind, yet not satisfying themselves personally. -- Unless that did satisfy them, but if it did, then well, I suspect they are either exceptional weirdoes, or like I stipulate --- complete and utter fucking idiots.

Yes I am cynical, but not totally devoid of idea. And as for deriding your desire to live old and enjoy life, well, that did not come into my idea of idiocy. I believe I only anchored it on the concept of human thought. the ideology behind what we do, which to be honest, has often seemed to be nothing but complete utter idiocy. --- Unless that means planning a party, but come on, how often does a plan come into the equation for that? It just happens. And that is cool. Not idiotic.

Everything is that way because of berks chasing stuff? Did I say that? No. I meant that in reference to the people that have chased on their dreams and ideas and thoughts to find themselves crapped on in the end. Because they're idiots. Without even knowing it.

Being an idiot is not a bad thing. I think that is my final point. If we were all idiots, I think I could understand certain attitudes, maybe that's why I'd like it to be so... and to be honest, I am being tugged and pulled to the idea that is very much so the case. ---

Last edited: