• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nobody and nothing.

Mickiel

Registered Member
I am increasingly believing that nobody has it right, and that just really takes us back to nothing in our understanding of our existence. I mean we have views and theorys and speculations, and they vary, some more intresting than others, But I just think were throwing sand into the wind.

Nobody and nothing has it right.

Peace.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I feel the exact same way, which is why I chose a long time ago not to 'believe' anything at all. Considering the millions of possibilities, what are the chances anyway, right?

It is, however, interesting to speculate and I do think there are benefits to believing in something, anything, no matter of the chances you're wrong. Works for some people anyway.

Personally I believe that if there is some kind of 'truth' out there, we can't even begin to comprehend it.

Last edited:

Mickiel

Registered Member
I feel the exact same way, which is why I chose a long time ago not to 'believe' anything at all. Considering the millions of possibilities, what are the chances anyway, right?

It is, however, interesting to speculate and I do think there are benefits to believing in something, anything, no matter of the chances you're wrong. Works for some people anyway.

Personally I believe that if there is some kind of 'truth' out there, we can't even begin to comprehend it.

Well I believe, its just getting to where I understand that I don't understand what I am believing, not like I would like to. I agree theres some kind of truth out there, and were not comprehending it, and I don't think its our fault, that kind of truth needs to reveal itself, you know, help us out a bit. We only hold so many tools to work with.

I understand belief and unbelief, both of them existing together is proof that we just don't know. There should only be one way.

Peace.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm Catholic, so of course I'm biased towards my own faith. Despite that, my view is less towards "nothing" and more towards a feeling that everyone's "Got it right" on some basic level or another. I see strength and positives in just about every faith.

Mickiel

Registered Member
I don't think everyone is anywhere near being right, but I can see some positives in a lot of views in belief and nonbelief. In the great balance of it all though, I see more of nothing as being relevant to our future that we can be assured of in confidence. Its hard to be assured of questions, and theology, or even Atheistic views.

Its more like being in nuetral to me, which has had a way, at times, of stagnating my own views. I believe, but I desire to have that 110% assurance to stand on as a sure foundation, and I have argued for belief a very long time. Posted what I thought were good arguements, but found they were only good in " My eyes", my belief.

There needs to be a convincing truth for the totality of humanity, and if there is a God, I don't think its beyond him to do that. We can only then be headed for that, or simply destined for nothing.

Peace.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I don't think that any religion has it right, catholics believe that they have to pray to a saint to send there message to god. Christians pray directly to god or to Jesus. There has been wars fought over religion. It is how we as individuals how we interpret religion. Everybody has a different view and I don't need preachers telling me how to run my life. Nobody has it right, we will find out what awaits us when we die.

Mickiel

Registered Member
I don't think that any religion has it right, catholics believe that they have to pray to a saint to send there message to god. Christians pray directly to god or to Jesus. There has been wars fought over religion. It is how we as individuals how we interpret religion. Everybody has a different view and I don't need preachers telling me how to run my life. Nobody has it right, we will find out what awaits us when we die.

I don't think religion, Atheist, or any way of human thought has it right. I really don't, thats why I side with no one. I don't need Atheist or religionist telling me what to do. Both are just different sides of the same coin. They have their value to whoever buys into it.

Peace.

Diederick

Registered Member
I think it is unjust you equate non-theism with theism as being two sides of the same coin. Philosophy, the desire to learn things, has been a driving force behind all great human endeavours since the beginning of time. If we would just fall back and settle in religion or in your position, "sitting on the fence", we cease the pursuit of those greater questions in life. They are non-answers to the doubts of mankind. Not that it is certain that there is no Deity out there, but in order to explore further we certainly cannot keep taking into account all possible (but highly improbably) scenarios. It is quite obvious to the careful observer that there is no God intervening in our lives and there is no need for a Deity in order to explain things. Especially the attributes given to Deities makes them even more unlikely to exist and often even self-refuting. All claims to the existence of Deities have, to this day, been unknowable, self-refuting or without evidence.

And of course it is important to keep an eye out for alternative possibilities and to make sure you're not staring yourself blind on a single theory, but that is how the scientific method works: people make theories, they and others then try to find errors, including asking the question why other theories would not apply. And we simply have to come to the conclusion that some are not worthy of further pursuit, because they are by definition unknowable, without evidence and/or perhaps even self-refuting.

Atheism is a logical position for anyone interested in looking further into the matter of which religion claims to be the know-it-all. Atheism itself is nothing more than the individual's rejection of theism, all it claims and all it really is, is the lack of belief in one or multiple Deities.

We know much of our existence in the temporal sense. About our history as an animal species, how we function as social animals and what our future might bring. We know a lot about the origin of life on earth, about our solar system and about cosmology at large. We know, in larger lines, how the universe works and how screwed we are in the long term. We know human history and what terrible mistakes we have made. So I would also disagree that "we know nothing of our existence".

Some people are right on some things. There is something as truth and we are slowly but surely collecting more of it. Much like how the Theory of Gravity has proven itself to be part of that truth, all fields of science are gradually finding more evidence and growing closer to elevating theories to the level of being true beyond any doubt. Of course there is a lot that is still unknown and all we can do is speculate and try to find out more, but we do have a solid basis on which we can found our theories and from which we can draw good conclusions.

No one can tell you what to do. But people can show you what is true. Of course, when your definition of 'true' is crooked we're at a complete loss here, but that would make any interaction with you futile.

Mickiel

Registered Member
My theory is that Atheism and Theism are different sides of the same coin. Unavoidable interaction, one needing the other to be relevant. One couldnot exist without the other. Both worth the same thing, which I think is ultimately nothing, because neither can purchase anything of worth for humanity.

Peace.

Diederick

Registered Member
My theory is that Atheism and Theism are different sides of the same coin. Unavoidable interaction, one needing the other to be relevant. One couldnot exist without the other. Both worth the same thing, which I think is ultimately nothing, because neither can purchase anything of worth for humanity.

Peace.
Could you offer support for that theory? Because the above doesn't make much sense and makes me feel like an idiot for writing all those lines in the previous post.