• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

No sun spots - here comes global cooling

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
DailyTech - Sun Makes History: First Spotless Month in a Century

But will the rest of us? In the past 1000 years, three previous such events -- the Dalton, Maunder, and Spörer Minimums, have all led to rapid cooling. One was large enough to be called a "mini ice age". For a society dependent on agriculture, cold is more damaging than heat. The growing season shortens, yields drop, and the occurrence of crop-destroying frosts increases.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Daily tech said:
Article Update
Sep 1 2008. After this story was published, the NOAA reversed their previous decision on a tiny speck seen Aug 21, which gives their version of the August data a half-point. Other observation centers such as Mount Wilson Observatory are still reporting a spotless month. So depending on which center you believe, August was a record for either a full century, or only 50 years.
I would say that it's too early to declare a mini Ice age..Depending on who you go with, this is a false alarm and nothing to worry about. But if they are right this will be an interesting turn of events. Go from Global Warming to Mini Ice age.

Either way more studies need to be done.

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I love this line right here:

What is incontrovertible, though, is that ice ages have occurred before. And no scientist, even the most skeptical, is prepared to say it won't happen again.
------
Personally I'm more down with the ice age than Global Warming.

Last edited:

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
We die, slowly and painfully.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
Lol, maby if your poor. This of us with houses will stay nice and warm.

I live in one of the most affluant parts of the UK but that doesn't mean a thing. It would affect us all.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
You can have your warm house all you want. But that wont feed your mouths

I'd assume it doesnt just happen all at once. But spanned over some time it would lead to events we've already seen.

Like for instance the Ag town of Exeter has had some trouble with their Citrus crops freezing over before they could be shipped.

But yeah, Food Shortages, Global Hysteria, third world countries would probably be hit the hardest first with death tolls.

Last edited:

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
I'd move farther south, I quite like my warmth (which is why we moved to Phoenix in the first place).