• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

No more snow days for this school.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The early arrival of wintry weather in the Midwest this week gave Grewing an opening to test out a virtual class day at St. Cloud Cathedral high school in central Minnesota, having students whip out laptops or iPads and work from home.

​No more snow days: Technology keeps classes going during bad weather - CBS News
The students aren't too happy about this but they need to look at it this way they didn't have to go to school, they are still at home. I bet you don't have to sit there all day either.

This might work for some places but not all areas have decent internet nor do the students all own lap tops. Each individual school will have to decide if it will work for them.

It would have aggravated me to have missed out on my snow day.

Thoughts?

dDave

V.I.P.
That's not fair at all. Any area that gets a lot of snow knows that internet goes out all the time in snowy conditions.

Honestly, why are people so concerned about making sure students don't get a break? You're not going to learn a ton more by not doing snow days. It's the teaching style and the curriculum (and so on and so forth) that is hindering students the most these days.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Actually I think having a extra day off here and there would be good for them and help them learn more in the long run. Keep them from burning out. So what school doesn't let out for summer vacation as soon as it would have.

I guess some places get so much snow school is called off a lot but still let them have some snow days. Also like you said Dave internet doesn't always work during snow, sometimes you don't even have electric.

Without snow days all you have left is being sick or skipping school. I would have been so bummed over losing my snow days because I didn't get many.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I have no idea how snow days work or what's normal for snow days, but i imagine the concern is mainly when it becomes to be more than one or two days? Does that ever happen? Could it be a snow day for a week? That really messes up any teachers program, so I understand it from that side.

That being said, apart from the fact that bad weather would obviously affect internet connectivity, something like this would be discriminatory against families who can't afford internet and computers/laptops.

Just to add, I visited Russia in the middle of their winter where every day was a heavy snow day. They still had school every day. I'm not saying snow fall can't be crazy over there in the US, but not all States have snow days either. I'm not trying to ruin the fun of snow days for those who have it, but I definitely see how they can be a nuisance.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wonder if the Russian school system would get sued if children lost their life over bad highway conditions. They would here.