No more simple Google homepage?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mirage, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Google's homepage appears to have changed to the new iGoogle....

Google

That's kind of annoying since I don't use Google for news or weather.. I guess it's not a bad idea but it doesn't do much for me. I just want to search.

I guess I am happy that they didn't touch my FireFox / Google page. :D

Mozilla Firefox Start Page

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

It doesn't look any different on my computer, and I am signed into my account. Oh well I am fine with the way it looks on my computer. Maybe it's some setting in forefox because I am not using the original starting page I changed it to normal Google.com...

3. Mirage

Actually I noticed that you can switch to the old version of Google by clicking "Classic Google" on the top right. I'm sure once that is clicked there is an option for iGoogle as well to turn it back to iGoogle.

After using it a bit I think it's actually a decent idea. Kind of makes for a personal clipboard / organizer. It uses the Google calendar as well as a few other things such as news updates, weather, etc. I wouldn't sign up for a new site that had an all in one thing like this, but, I think I'll use the new iGoogle for a while and see if I continue to like it. It doesn't seem to load any slower than classic Google..

4. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

I prefer checking the news on Google as they usually have most of the important elements. I'll use the maps occasionally. I don't really use any of the other links though. I don't like the iGoogle thing though. I prefer classic.

5. Psyco

Psyco Food Whore

If you're talking about the personalized homepage thing for google (/ig), I've been using it for over a year, and i love it. It tells me just about everything i want to know, and still has the search.

6. hamletssoulmate

hamletssoulmate New Member

You can still set the regular Google as your default homepage in your browser and click over to iGoogle in the top right of the screen. Personally I like iGoogle for much the same reason as others have already stated. And who can resist the daily Garfield?!

7. Mirage

I noticed that too. I actually kind of like iGoogle's start page now though. I'm still using FireFox's custom Google page but I might switch to iGoogle permanently soon.

8. dmny500

dmny500 Registered Member

I actually didn't notice that yet but I love it. I don't know if any of you have gmail but if you do igoogle shows the weather in your town, your stocks, and the top 5 in your inbox. I also like the word of the day, and the top stories.

9. hamletssoulmate

hamletssoulmate New Member

You don't actually need a Google email account for weather, stocks and so on. They're all available through the content selection menu regardless.

It is possible to add updates from outside of Google too, providing the source is somehow affiliated (i.e. a sponsored link).

Oh, and for a really nice screensaver, add the moon phases content, then click on it and follow the link. Now that's really cool!

10. hey_j2

hey_j2 New Member

mines always on classic google although i can switch to igoogle in the top right hand corner