No more hard drive space.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by FleshCouture, Sep 22, 2009.

1. FleshCouture

FleshCouture Registered Member

So, I system restored my hard drive. I did this about two months ago. It was not the destructive type, where it deletes every single personal file you have and restores the computer to factory settings.
    This means I still have all my old music on my hard drive, which is taking up HEAPS of space. I have a 104GB hard drive.
    I can't find where it's stored at all. I've tried searching "*mp3" in all folders, hidden folders, etc. I've used programs that show me where all my space is being taken up and the place that's taking up the most is my current music collection in my actual music folder.
    This can't be true because my music folder is only 30-50 GBs, which would leave a lot more space on my HD.
    I have no videos and barely any pictures.
    I've deleted every program I absolutely don't use, yet I still have no space.

Can anyone inform me on where my old music could possibly be located?
    ;\

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Did you search for .mp3 and not just "mp3" in the search window?

Also, I suggest investing in an external hard drive to store your music. Lastly, what make and model is your computer?

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

This problem almost seems too basic for me to know where to start troubleshooting. I mean any ideas I'd have would just be the basics that I'd assume you've already tried.

Empty your recycle bin?

4. FleshCouture

I haven't actually, but I'll try sometime today. I'm not sure why I didn't think of this.

I have a 1TB External Hard Drive, but I'm EXTREMELY paranoid when it comes to my music, so I must have it on AT LEAST 2 storage units simultaneously. :/

I have a Compaq Presario (SR2014HM) model ruinning Windows XP SP3. (Sorry if this isn't what you meant)

I always empty my recycle bin.

This is so odd, I remember I've done this before but my old files were located in C://Documents_And_Settings/Compaq.Owner_Randomnumbers.

5. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

run Disk Clean on your Hard Drive. go to my computer right click on the hard drive go to properties and under the pie chart click on disk clean

6. Merc

Are you 100% sure you had your music backed up before system restoring?

7. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

That's what I did for my laptop. My desktop died a while back so I just moved to my laptop full-time. I added more memory to increase the speed and effectiveness, but I still didn't have some of the files and apps from my old PC HD. So I bought a USB2.0 to IDE adapter and removed the main hard drive from my desktop to use as an external hard drive while I'm at my desk.
    Sure, at some point I'll have to invest in a newer system, but for now this will do me just fine.

8. FleshCouture

I am.
    I'm 100% sure it's my old music library because there's nothing else that could be taking up THAT much space. And like I said, it wasn't Destructive System Restore, so my music is still on here some where.

I think I'm just going to have to DSR:\

9. Merc

I've never heard of "Destructive System Restore" to be honest. I've actually never heard of a system restore that doesn't wipe your computer. Like Brix said, this problem seems so simple and straightforward but to me, that means that your music is most likely already gone.

10. tasha1133

tasha1133 New Member

system restore in XP does not "destroy" your files if that's what you meant by destructive system restore.. it simply restores your pc to it's old settings before you made changes or installed/uninstalled programs.

most likely, your files are still there. in some instances, system restore renames some files to avoid overwriting and deleting other files.. try reverse system restore and look for your files..