• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

No Man's Sky

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member

I was surprised a thread wasn't created sooner for this game, which is out tomorrow. The game is pretty much a chill space/planet exploration game from developer Hello Games. The scope looks huge - you discover planets and systems and name them, essentially. It looks beautiful.

I'm on the hype train for this, but I'll be waiting until I've read a review or two and heard from friends about it.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Yah you need to watch the videos for it. Its massive. I wouldn't bother waiting for the reviews if I were you, its gonna be well worth the money. Its infinite, the space to explore. Every planet, solar system, creature etc are all procedurally and randomly generated. Like each planet and creature draws upon a large array of sliders. Like when you create a character in a bethesday game, but so many more. You'll probably never find a planet or creature the same as any others, or any your friends have found and named.

There's chances of coming across places others have discovered, but its rare. However there's going to be a galactic map, so you could always navigate that way instead of heading to the center. This game is going to be so epic, I'm just choked I have to wait till payday before i can get it lol.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So no final review has been posted at IGN, but the impressions seem unfavorable. I still am intrigued by this game, though, and think that high expectations may have created a bad effect on reviews. I'm still interested in seeing the final product on that end, but as far as the game itself I may still get it eventually.

Konshentz

Konshentz
For some reason, this game has never really interested me that much. It's not something I'll buy at full price. Maybe a nice sale on PSN or when it's in the $20 bin, I'll give it a go. Still curious to see the scores and such, even if they don't mean a whole lot.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Generally I don't put much weight on reviews. At the end of the day, it's just someone else's opinion.

I have yet to get it still so i don't even have my own opinion lol. Ugh i'm getting super impatient though haha. can't wait to get it and start exploring and discovering!

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
There are a good amount of negative reviews, but I think if you take the game for what it is it may be worth getting. I wouldn't pretend it's perfect, but I'm also the type of gamer that may slow down what I'm doing during a Skyrim session to take in the beautiful scenery. That part of me may love this exploration, and even if there are gameplay limitations I think the amount of beautiful, seemingly limitless environments would make up for that. I may get this or Madden when my vacation time starts, so we'll see what wins out.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's super boring.

I struggled through one hour of gameplay and I just can't do it. I love exploration and survival games but honestly, it's just not my thing.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
That's just it, lots of people went into it expecting some kind of space shooter, with a storyline etc. Its not that. its not a game you play to beat, its a game you play. Spend an hour exploring a planet or spend an hour flying through space to find the next system.

Most of the bad reviews or negative videos I've seen about it are complaining about the things it doesn't have. Judging it for what it isn't instead of what it is.

Its definitely a niche game that caters to a smaller audience.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I picked it up yesterday, and I really like it. It's creative and different, which I definitely look for after getting sick of things like Call of Duty. I had to put a lot of time into exploring and putting together parts to fix my ship, which made my first takeoff and trip to space very rewarding and cool. I can see this game having at on of replay value for me, as it's a nice game to pop in when you just want to chill. It has a significant enough challenge at times that you have to think your way out of situations, and it also has a lot of benchmarks to build up to. Graphically it's beautiful, and the planets are awesome. I think even those that hate the game can say it's purdy to look at. I love how you have to slowly find artifacts that help you to decode the languages of the alien races involved.

I'd recommend a buy as long as you know what you're getting into. I don't think the game company should get a pass for not delivering a game quite as epic as they may have talked it up to be, but I think this is a fun and different enough experience that it deserves more credit than it's getting.