• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

No Free Speech at Schools?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Read this article and found it pretty rediculous.

Texas cheerleader suing - didn't root for attacker

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the article and what are your thoughts of banning Free Speech at schools. I know this mostly applies to Americans, but I'm curious to know what everyone thinks.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I believe every student should have their freedoms of speech, but the line between harmful and innocent speech is very fine, and all cases need to be handled differently.

Take this Cheerleading case. The girl was thrown off of her cheerleading squad for refusing to support a player who had raped her in the past? That is a clear violation of her rights. No one can force anyone to say anything, even if she joins a team as that. Its a clear violation of the constitution. And it is very insensitive to ask her to do so. The poor girl was raped for Christs sake.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
No one can force anyone to say anything, even if she joins a team as that.
That's true, no one can force her say his name so in this case she'd rather get out of the cheerleading group.
Why stay there if you don't want to say his name? You either accept to say his name or you get out of the group.
But if she remains there then, just like the article says - she has to cheer for that group whether she likes it or not. Or else, she's free to move on.

Simple. No?

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
That's true, no one can force her say his name so in this case she'd rather get out of the cheerleading group.
Why stay there if you don't want to say his name? You either accept to say his name or you get out of the group.
But if she remains there then, just like the article says - she has to cheer for that group whether she likes it or not. Or else, she's free to move on.

Simple. No?
No.

This isn't a cheerleading squad just for that one player. It's a cheerleading squad that's presumably for multiple teams at that school. She can still perform in her role as a cheerleader without being required to do something that (if he really raped her) is absolutely despicable.

It's not like she's booing him or jeering him - she's sitting quietly with her arms crossed.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
No.

This isn't a cheerleading squad just for that one player. It's a cheerleading squad that's presumably for multiple teams at that school.
Then when it's for multiple teams what is there to worry about?
It's NOT like she's cheering ONLY for him.
But when you sit there and do nothing why don't you better leave the squad at all?
Is she going to sit there everytime her group will have to perform?
That doesn't make sense.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Then when it's for multiple teams what is there to worry about?
It's NOT like she's cheering ONLY for him.
But when you sit there and do nothing why don't you better leave the squad at all?
Is she going to sit there everytime her group will have to perform?
That doesn't make sense.
As far as I can tell, she only refused to perform when that guy was the only one doing anything (when he was taking free throws). I'm pretty sure she didn't sit out the entire game...

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
No.

This isn't a cheerleading squad just for that one player. It's a cheerleading squad that's presumably for multiple teams at that school. She can still perform in her role as a cheerleader without being required to do something that (if he really raped her) is absolutely despicable.

It's not like she's booing him or jeering him - she's sitting quietly with her arms crossed.
I feel really bad for her for what this guy is accused of doing and I find rape to be one of the most disgusting acts a human being can do to another. I also don't find it very suprising the community reacted they way they did, there are many with the IQ of a snail who will back the star athlete no matter what he does.

That being said, she was a member of the cheerleading squad and as such must cheer for the entire basketball team or don't cheer at all. You can't pick and choose what members of the team you want to root for and who you don't. To accept that behavior would be absurd. Unfortunately, while I feel for her and her family (if I were her dad I probably would have killed the guy already) this is not a free speech issue. She doesn't have the right to cheer for whom she wants IF she is a member of the squad. As a spectator she certainly does of course, as a cheerleader she does not.