No deodrant in the 60s

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Reading an article in the Times it is saying how the Japanese or the Russian don't wear deodrant, and how in Britain it only came about after the second world war, and even then to the 60s deodrants weren't commonplace?

What were smells like in the 60s and prior to that? I know bathing was a lot less frequent as well, so was it bad, or hidden with the (70% of people?) numbers of people smoking?

eveningsky339

Registered Member
You know how if you walk into a pungent smelling room, you just get used to it? I think that's how it was... You were just used to the smell of BO. Think about the barbarians outside the Roman empire-- they bathed about once a year and they conquered the world.

Blueyes

Registered Member
Obviously the Times didn't check more countries because we frequently get a lot of people from India coming over here to do research and a lot of them have to be told by others who learned to take showers and baths more frequently over here as well as use deodorant. The stench can be overwhelming to say the least.

I don't even want to think what that might have been like back then.

R1pperZ

Registered Member
That's a horrible thought, I would never want to get use to someones nasty odors..

Jr. High was bad enough I can only imagine an entire country w/o deodorants.

If you ever go backpacking with a group you can have a minor experience of this... Especially when it rains on the last day of an 6 day backpacking trip and everyone has to crowd inside the tent... It doesn't smell good, but after about an hour you get used to it... Well everyone but me did...

AEH

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Like eveningsky said at the times when deo wasn't even invented ppl were used to body odor and probably didn't even notice it. Their washing rituals definately didn't change their odors.
But these days not using it will make ppl pull a face and make a comment since body odor is unpleasent to say the least.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Wow, that must really suck because I can't live without deoderant and if I lived back in the 60s, I would be taking a bath everyday.