• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

No Counters To Lean On

Turbo

Registered Member
As I was unable to sleep the other night I began thinking about how the amount of counters in the current TCG metagame has dwindled. Way back before the ban lists were even thought of people ran magic negation and trap counters in every deck. Then the ban list hit and Imperial Order was locked away forever and MST was put to 1 in each deck.

I read how people complain about how 3 Sakuretsu Armors in a deck are nuts, hell I've said it myself. Then its suggested to run 3 Dust Tornados. Have duelists forgotten Seven Tools of the Bandit and Solemn Judgement. And what about Magic Drain and Magic Jammer along with others like them to get rid of those pesky Smashing Ground.

Now many of you are going, "all of those are -1." BIG FREAKING DEAL. Duelists shouldn't be afraid to take a risk or two. I mean the best way to get rid of multiple Smashing Ground is to use Cursed Seal. Yes it'll cost you 1 card from your hand to activate but it negates that Smashing Ground and prevents others from being activated. The same goes for Nobleman of Extermination and Sakuretsu Armor.

And lets not forget the ULTIMATE counter....SOLEMN JUDGMENT. By paying half your lifepoints you can negate and destroy ANYTHING. This even stops Jinzo; for those who still play him. Hell if you activate Solemn Judgment to the summon of Mobius he can't even destroy anything because you stopped the summon. Same thing with Sangan. Solemn chained to Sangan's summoning sends Sangan to the grave without getting a search because you negated his summon.

Perhaps if duelists stopped being scientific about whats a 1-for-1 or a 3-for-1 and took a little risk along with initiative we'd see a more diverse metagame then we are seeing now.

M

masterswrd

I agree with you, in todays game players are to worried about how to use card advantage to get to the top, while this is a good plan for most people some cannont or will not grasp the consept and still will be able to win and more so since their minds are not tied down by the resticions of playing a card for advantage, they will play that card in ways others will find interesting or frown upon.

S

Scyanyde666

I already see Jammer coming back in the next meta...ppl still side board 3x solemns for tourney purposes so it's not all forgotten...as for the rest ov those beloved counter traps they are not gonna see play until THAT MAN hits the US...and by that man I mean Vandalgion!!!! But nowadays everyone's going by this crap 1 for 1 stuff and not using any type ov skill to suceed...just netdecking and hell...this is the reason why KoA hasn't released Shrink/Gadgets/Vandalgion/other HIGH SKILL LEVEL cards hereas ov yet......

People still rely on secret tech cards that most others won't even expect these days...stuff like Hyper Hammerhead, Legendary Jujitsu Master and such...look at the recent winner ov SJC Durham......I say no more XD

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
Being a -1 is a big dill. It's not about taking risk. It's about playing smart and if you allow your self to be at a -1 to your opponent then he/she is in the lead already. Also some of those card that you mentioned make you take lp damge. So not only are you putting your self at a -1, but you are also taking away your own lp. That's helping your opponent oout which is somehting you don't want to do. Furthur more those card don't protect you from monster (aside from Solem Judgement). Basicly you just told everyone htat you are a bad dueliest and can't compet with the best of us. Sorry but it's the truth. Try going to reginals and learning a thing or two.

Turbo

Registered Member
How does this state I'm a bad duelists. I constantly read and hear people complain about broken cards. The counters are out the but no one wants to use them because they put you at a disadvantage. Back before the ban list people took risks, the idea of +1 or -1 didn't exist. dueling is not about using cards that only give you positive results. the overall success requires some risk. this game is not math, its strategy and luck.

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
TurboniumNY said:
How does this state I'm a bad duelists. I constantly read and hear people complain about broken cards. The counters are out the but no one wants to use them because they put you at a disadvantage. Back before the ban list people took risks, the idea of +1 or -1 didn't exist. dueling is not about using cards that only give you positive results. the overall success requires some risk. this game is not math, its strategy and luck.

Okie part of the strategy is the mathamatical part of the game. If you continueiously put your self at -1 then there are good chances that you will lose. Just think about it.

Turbo

Registered Member
I'm not talking about a total disadvantage deck. But paying some lifepoints or discarding a card to negate something is worth it in the long haul. Too many people just look for the quick finish instead of strategically balancing the positive and negative for a deck.

K

KillaKidd

Cards like magic jammer and seven tools arent good because they provide no advantage in a format that is all about advantage

Magic Jammer- its taking 2 of ur cards to prevent one of mine therfore ur losing 1 advantage -1
Seven Tools- Its taking 1 of ur cards and 1000 lp to stop one of mine therefore ur losing advantage.

in this format with everyone running near the same deck its about who has more advantage...the person with more advantage should always win unless they suck :D

K

KarThief88x

Yes, unfortunately most of those counters are no longer being played due to players not wanting to lose advantage. A Good Duelist will build a deck with 40-44 cards that they can use basically at any given situation as to lower their chances of a bad top deck. If you are top decking and you pull a Magic Jammer it will basically be 2 turns until you can really use that card. Solemn Judgment, well, in todays deck builds, most players will have more than one card in their hand that might serve the same purpose as what you are negating. Honestly, Unless Solemn Judgment is used against me late in the duel where they will only be paying around 1000Lifepoints, than I usually wind up winning the game. In most cases I would not mind having my Heavy Storm Negated to have you lose 4000lifepoints.

Frank D.
Team NeXus

K

KillaKidd

Exaclty^

Althou i think Solemn Judgement does work for sideboards and theme decks such as clown control etc.. but magic jammer and seven tools i just do not like at all

and it takes skill to play solemn judgement timing is everything with that card