• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

No Christmas According to Who?

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
The most reliable annual “war on Christmas” fodder in all the land has arrived: A billboard, released by an atheist group, prodding at the religious foundation of the Christmas season with a reminder that atheists exist.
This year’s billboard — as it has in the past — comes from American Atheists. And this year’s billboard — as it has in the past — will fail to live up to the worst fears of its critics.
Don’t worry, Christmas is still coming. Billboards don’t cancel Christmas.
Here is this yearâ

The article and title speak for itself... There should be a sign next to the athiest one that says,
If you don't like Christmas then don't expect to get presents." :sigh:
What are your thoughts on this matter?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I think Atheists would feel better if they just had their own holiday. I propose "Life is Meaningless Day" to be celebrated on April 13th. During celebrations religious icons are publicly burned, along with Bibles, while people go about saying things to make children cry. Rotting meat is hung from lamp posts representing the fate of all mankind and cards are exchanged with such uplifting messages as "Don't worry, it'll all be over soon." and "Life is pointless, might as well just end it now."

This way these poor individuals won't feel as though they are unappreciated for trying to spread their message that everyone else's beliefs are wrong and stupid. God bless 'em!

- Chameleon

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know why they bother. No one is forcing them to celebrate Christmas but they seem intent on stopping others from doing so. Communists.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't know why they bother. No one is forcing them to celebrate Christmas but they seem intent on stopping others from doing so. Communists.
Because they are the most sensitive people around. EVERYTHING offends them. The mere mention of God or the Bible or saying Merry Christmas offends them. Hell, football players beating their wives or children don't offend them but a football player getting on knee in prayer is offensive to them. They bother because they are too easily offended. People celebrating Winter Solstice or Ramadam or whatever doesn't offend me. Last year at a store a clerk said Happy Haunakkah and I said it back in response. Why would I find that offensive?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
To them it's like people running around celebrating how 2+2=42 and they see the need to scream from the rooftops "It's 4 DAMNIT! FOUR!" but in this case we're adding Rabbits so the answer really is 42. :lol:

- Cham

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
If that's what it is like for them, then their arguments make even less sense, since 2+2 can be proved while belief in a deity cannot.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Because they are the most sensitive people around. EVERYTHING offends them. The mere mention of God or the Bible or saying Merry Christmas offends them. Hell, football players beating their wives or children don't offend them but a football player getting on knee in prayer is offensive to them. They bother because they are too easily offended. People celebrating Winter Solstice or Ramadam or whatever doesn't offend me. Last year at a store a clerk said Happy Haunakkah and I said it back in response. Why would I find that offensive?
I'm the same way if someone wants celebrate Hanukkah, Ramadan or any religious holiday I don't care. If someone wishes me Happy Hanukkah I will wish them the same even though I'm not Jewish. I just don't see the big deal. Its not like they are forcing you to celebrate or practice their religion. Now if they were doing that I would have a problem with it.

Whatever happened to tolerance of others differences?

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
The frequent use of the term "them" in this thread is disturbing. Remember, folks, you can't tarnish all people with a single brush in the same way that atheists can't brand all Christians as dangerous and murderous fanatics. Certainly there are some who fall into particular categories, but not all.

That said, it is sad that anyone can act like this. As an atheist myself I see Christmas as a free holiday, and personally I don't think it really has any religious connotations anymore. It's simply commercial now.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Let me clear things up. When I say them I mean people that are trying to stamp out religious activities not all atheists in general. Most don't care. But like in many other controversial things its those that stir the pot that gets the attention, makes the headlines, good or bad.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
The frequent use of the term "them" in this thread is disturbing. Remember, folks, you can't tarnish all people with a single brush in the same way that atheists can't brand all Christians as dangerous and murderous fanatics. Certainly there are some who fall into particular categories, but not all.
Sure ya can! Stereotyping is fun and effective! And as an Atheist I'm surprised you've taken so long to comment. I've been trying to get a rise out of someone in your demographic since I got here. Let's talk about Creationism vs. whatever magic you believe in. The science forum is right over there -> if you're not chicken. Brawwwwk! :lol:

Besides, being that the good old days of being able to torture and kill folks who disagree with me ended before I was born, doing it figuratively in the forums will have to do. :D Incidentally, it isn't only I who are tarnishing your people with a single brush, but the folks who are taking out the billboard ads. I think if a Christian group were to take out giant billboard ads reading "Thou shalt not tolerate a witch to live." that the first to complain wouldn't be the Wicca, but other Christian groups.

You people are worse than the Christians for being self-righteous, but when called out to back up your belief system that is supposed to render every other obsolete, you guys are nowhere to be found. You guys pull a genie act and withdraw into your bottle labeled "I'm right, you're wrong, now go away!", which sits right next to the religionist bottle with the same label. The difference though is that Atheism claims to be a fact based belief system, rather than a faith based one, which as far as I'm concerned, renders that little sanctuary off-limits.

(How's that for a paint job? I don't use a brush, I use a roller. :lol: Feeling thoroughly tarnished yet? Haha!)

- Chameleon

P.S. Any appearance of true hostility is illusory. I just like to horse around a lot. :D