nissan pathfinder problems

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
So, any car buffs that know all about fixing them?

Our pathfinder starts (usually, we had one instance where it wouldn't in the past few weeks and had to have the computer reset, it was reading things wrong), but when you press the gas pedal, nothing happens. The check engine light is on. Usually when this has happened we've been able to turn it off, restart it again, and usually within a couple tries it works, but it's getting worse and this morning took a good 1/2 hour to get going. We did recently replace the battery (I was reading online and found someone else that had the exact same problem after replacing their battery).

We are planning on getting it looked at asap (meaning today or tomorrow) but I was wondering if anyone had any idea what it was and maybe how much it might cost.

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
Yep, that's exactly what happens. When you put it in drive, it moves that little bit it goes cause it's an automatic, so we can back out of the driveway, but there is no response from the gas peddle.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Don't quote me 100% on this but it could be your throttle position sensor considering there's no responce from the pedal. I'm not too sure on the cost of replacing that, sorry.

It's really all i can think of :S

Are you taking it to your main car dealer? Is it still under warrenty?

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
Nah, there is no warranty. And yes, we are taking it to a Nissan dealer. We had it in to a local guy here a couple weeks ago when it wouldn't start, but he could find nothing wrong and resetting the computer fixed the no start problem, so he recommended having Nissan look at it.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Might cost you a bit then but main dealers will give it a proper look over.

Sephy

Forum Drifter
Definitely sounds like a TPS sensor.

That will probably run you about $100-$110 if you don't buy it at a dealer. Can't say what labor would be of course.

Also what that part does is act like a throttle cable. You car doesn't have a throttle cable so that sensor measures how far the pedal is being pushed, which then tells the ECU, which then tells the motor.

When they hook it up, the code they should receive is P1705. That's your car's code for bad TPS. It might also pop up a couple of other 17XX codes but when the TPS is replaced they will disappear, assuming that is the issue, and it sounds like it is.

Sephy

Forum Drifter
You'd probably be safe taking it to a local shop. Just get some recommendations for shops. I've dealt with some really crappy ones but also some pretty good ones. I mean a dealer is the safe bet but usually you will overpay there. I work at a dealer. I know lol.

Just go somewhere first and have them pull any codes for you. Most places should do this for free (I think even Advance Auto or Autozone will do it for you, not sure though). See what the code(s) is/are and go from there.

On a side note if none of this is the case the worst thing I can think of is your ECU being faulty. If it acted weird, was then reset, then acted fine, and is now being weird again, there is a very very very small chance your ECU needs to be either reprogrammed or replaced. I highly doubt this is the case though.

Last edited: