• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo Nintendo's President (Hiroshi Yamauchi) dies at 85 at

dDave

V.I.P.
Today, on September 19, 2013, Nintendo's President, Hiroshi Yamauchi passed away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/b...drive-nintendo-into-dominance-dies-at-85.html

He took control of Nintendo in 1949 and went all the way up until 2002 (when he was succeeded by Satoru Iwata). Nintendo was little more than a small art company (I believe they made playing cards) when Yamauchi took control of the company. He was a major part of what Nintendo did to become a worldwide leader in video gaming.

He will be sorely missed.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's sad but at least he lived a long fulfilling life. Pneumonia get a lot of older people.

I think its amazing he became president of the company at 22. RIP Mr. Yamauchi

Taliesin

Registered Member
Wow. At the age of 22?! Nintendo's drive for innovation and creativity is quite the legacy for someone to leave behind.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
Its pretty sad, because I'm sure he did a lot of good for his company. I read about him before and he seemed like a pretty good president.

dDave

V.I.P.
Wow. At the age of 22?! Nintendo's drive for innovation and creativity is quite the legacy for someone to leave behind.
Nintendo's legacy is one of the greatest in history in terms of art. It's incredible that he took control of the company at 22 and eventually led the company to become wildly successful.

Its pretty sad, because I'm sure he did a lot of good for his company. I read about him before and he seemed like a pretty good president.
Considering he basically helped found the video game industry, I'd say he is doing quite well. He lived a long and fulfilling life and was surrounded by good people.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
You can argue that without this man we'd never have any of the video games that we love. The NES brought console gaming out of the dark ages. Most people don't remember that the gaming industry was nearly dead until the NES and then Genesis/SNES took the gaming world by storm. The NES single-handedly saved gaming for us all.

And this man was responsible. Thank you.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It's amazing what he was able to do with the company and the influence it had on the gaming industry. Sad to hear he passed away.

It makes you wonder though, if Nintendo hadn't saved video games, another company would have done it eventually, right? I mean, electronics are too big to not have gaming.