Nintendo's Complete Profit To Date

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
And those who say Nintendo is suffering...of course people could always do better, but these are some strong numbers
http://www.revo-europe.com/news.php?nid=8647
To date, the DS has sold an impressive 8.83 million units worldwide, with 2.37 million of them being sold in the US (the figures come from Nintendo of America). Meanwhile, software sales for the platform stand at 23.8 million, with 5.16 million of them being sold in the US.

The GameCube has recently hit 10 million units sold in the US, with 19.31 million sold worldwide. The Cube has sold 169.51 million units of software worldwide, 79.49 million of those in the US.

The Game Boy Advance (figures include original, SP and Micro versions) has now sold through 70.04 million units across the globe, 29.8 million of those in America. Software-wise, a whopping 296.12 million units of GBA software have been sold worldwide (it's all those Pokémon titles!), 128.34 million of those in the US.

Unsuprisingly, Mario games have sold 184 million units to date, followed by Pokémon in second place with 143 million units. Zelda titles came next with 47 million units sold, followed closely by Donkey Kong with 44 million. Metroid came fifth with 11 million units sold.

Those with good maths skills (or those who were listening carefully to Reggie's speech at this year's E3) will know of Nintendo's staggering 2 billion units of software sold worldwide. To be precise that figure is 2.09 billion worldwide, a figure sure to rise fast next year with the worldwide launch of Revolution...

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Impressive numbers. Mario sure has gotten a lot of sales, but then again there's like hundreds of Mario games these days. It would be interesting to compare average sales of Mario games to Metroid and Zelda games.

yooperchick

Registered Member
Those are some pretty impressive numbers, but those are just the sales. I would be interesting in seeing financial statements showing the yearly profits of Nintendo.

I wonder how much money is spent by Nintendo analyzing all of these numbers, and how much value they put on doing that? I'd imagine there are people there that only do that for their job.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
madgamer said:
Those are some pretty impressive numbers, but those are just the sales. I would be interesting in seeing financial statements showing the yearly profits of Nintendo.
Yeah, the topic title is a little misleading. I thought it was going to show Nintendo's profits. I wonder if they make as much profit as everybody thinks. Obviously they make a ton off of their handhelds, but I'm not so sure Gamecube is doing that much for them.

dk_rare

Registered Member
You might find this interesting about how well the DS and recent games, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart, are doing (all figures and dates relate to Japan only).

[In] the latest Japanese charts, covering the week in which the Xbox 360 launched... the DS sold a massive 299,000 units during the week, further strengthening its lead in the handheld console market over the PlayStation Portable - which it has outsold consistently this year, and which, by comparison, sold 86,000 units in this chart.

The arrival of Mario Kart DS was unquestionably a major factor in the huge success of the console, with over 219,000 units... shifting during the week - while last week's Animal Crossing: Wild World also did well on the DS, selling some 121,000 units in its second week on sale.

yooperchick

Registered Member
I have to wonder how things will look 10 years from now. It's already been 20 years for Nintendo (I think). Who will still be around? I'd bet money that Nintendo will be. I don't think they will fade away.

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
Yeah, the topic title is a little misleading. I thought it was going to show Nintendo's profits. I wonder if they make as much profit as everybody thinks. Obviously they make a ton off of their handhelds, but I'm not so sure Gamecube is doing that much for them.
I made a post in another thread how Nintendo has made more profit than any other system off of hardware. Its because they actually make money when they sell a system.

EDIT:
And this is also only through September '05. So that does not include all of the sales from Mario Kart: DS or Animal Crossing, nor the new DS color (Pink, Turqoise, MK:DS Edition) and whatever other games that came out.