• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo Power magazine

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
How many people here get Nintendo Power magazine? Any collectors from way back? How about the latest issue, they really underdid that 200th issue didn't they? IMO it's gotta be one of the more uglier covers ever. I remember they put together good 50th and 100th issues too. Old school NP was awesome. Anybody got any favorites? I like the Super Mario Kart issue. That was cool, and for one of the coolest games. Also, I got my name and challenge published in the Arena Challenge of volume 122 page 85. Check it out if you don't believe me. Look for the red highlight.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I got Nintendo Power for a year a couple years ago. I only subscribed to get the Zelda Collector's Disc. The magazine is pretty worthless, but the game was worth the $20 subscription. I ended up getting two copies of it since the first one took forever to ship. And I eventually gave both copies to people from PDC, one of them to Steve.

I used to subscribe to them, back when the N64 was fresh. I made use every issue I got, but now it just can't compare to the information available on the internet. It was a good way to get information on upcoming games and everything back when I was young, because I just wasn't too efficient at browsing the web for info.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Nintendo Power came out back in the late 80's before the web was even existant. It's glory days were somewhere between the first 10 and 60 issues when it was the best, most informative, and most original and creative source of gaming news and strategy around. But they started doing away with the creative elements and it gradually became just another advertising vehicle, with full-page ads and everything. You probably didn't see the best issues of NP rossdude. And Echoes, exactly when did you get it? Do remember around what numbers the issues were?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
And I've appreciated it the entire time, still do.

Anyway, I have Game Informer, but not Nintendo Power. They're much less bias than then company specific magazines.

Gamechamp

Registered Member
Holy crap! Vega, I have that issue! Cool. I knew you existed before I even knew you existed. It was the Mario Kart one, right?

I've already said in another topic the details about Nintendo Power, so long story short: I had a subscription, then let it run out after I realized it gave good scores to every game because they want the games to sell. Recently I saw the new version, which actually gives bad scores to bad games, so I'm thinking of re-subscribing.

huskerman007

Registered Member
I used to get this but I stopped recieving it after the n64 went dead. I cant really remember any issues anymore.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Gamechamp said:
Holy crap! Vega, I have that issue! Cool. I knew you existed before I even knew you existed. It was the Mario Kart one, right?
Yeah, it was the Mario Kart one. And I beat that challenge too, but unfortunately there's no way to prove that the challenge is beaten because the character looks the same in the ending whether you beat it on 150cc or 100cc.

And do you actually remember reading that specific area challenge section a long time ago?

I've already said in another topic the details about Nintendo Power, so long story short: I had a subscription, then let it run out after I realized it gave good scores to every game because they want the games to sell. Recently I saw the new version, which actually gives bad scores to bad games, so I'm thinking of re-subscribing.
At what point did they begin doing this? I know that there's a great deal of games that got low scores, but probably not absurdly low (even if they deserved it). Thats what I remember.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Ive been a subscriber since the Nintendo Fun Club newsletter days. I still have issue #1

I have Game Informer, but not Nintendo Power. They're much less bias than the company specific magazines.
Nintendo power was never meant for reviews, it was for gameplay strategy. I still am amazed at how many people have said to me NP sucks because they are biased... well DUH!! Needless to say, Nintendo Power has changed how they score games, are alot more critical, and not so 'kiddy' as others have put it. They even make fun of proplr in the letters now, and the occasions 'bad' word thrown in lol

The only thing Nintendo needs to do with NP is start doing Demo Discs... That would be the only change I would make, well that and more gameplay strategy...

Gamechamp

Registered Member
00vega said:
And do you actually remember reading that specific area challenge section a long time ago?
Nope, I have the issue. Though when I read it I remembered having read it before. I had just shrugged it off like I do with all of those things I read. I had no idea I'd ever actually somehow come in contact with the person.

00vega said:
At what point did they begin doing this? I know that there's a great deal of games that got low scores, but probably not absurdly low (even if they deserved it). Thats what I remember.
They did it in pretty much every issue I had. Absurdly low scores are what I meant by low scores. We just have different views on what a low score is, I think.