• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nine percent of Internet users download music

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Study: LimeWire demise slows music piracy | Media Maverick - CNET News

Seems like a low percentage if you ask me. I would at least thought it would be 25% minimum.

Some people just go on the internet to download stuff, music being one of those things.

Thoughts? Surprised on the percentage? Or you believe it's about right?

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm very happy that LimeWire is finally shut down, I can't believe this wasn't done years ago.

Unfortunately frostwire and bittorrent are still standing strong, I hope that they get shut down too. Piracy is stealing and that's really all I have to say about that.

I don't think that number is accurate. There's no way that only 9 percent are stealing music. I would put that number upwards on the 40-60 percent range, at least half of the people I know download their music illegally and think nothing of it. I know somebody that has 200gb of music (I've seen it) and it's all downloaded illegally he claims.

Konshentz

Konshentz
9% seems awfully low. I would've guessed around 50%, at least.

I still buy music from time to time, but I've been downloading stuff since back in the days of Audiogalaxy, which was a good ten years ago. Why stop now? Haha.

It's wrong, but whatever, I'm fine with it.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I would say 90% and not just 9%.
I'm sure almost everyone downloads illegally so the OP number is not accurate.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
How do they measure it? Self-report? Or they have a way of tracking downloads per computer or something. It seems that 9% is low. But then maybe compared to all internet users, only a few percent do use it for music (and within those few percent is a big percentage of people who download).

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Unfortunately frostwire and bittorrent are still standing strong, I hope that they get shut down too. Piracy is stealing and that's really all I have to say about that.
The bittorrent protocol isn't just used for illegal shit, it's also used for legal purposes. Upon downloading the latest uTorrent, I was asked if I wanted to download a legal copy of the second episode of Pioneer One. Linux distributions and other such large files are legally distrubuted through the bittorrent protocol.

Companies like CBC, the Norwegian Broadcasting Company, the UK government, and other major groups all use the bittorrent protocol to distribute shit. I mean, hell, Activision Blizzard use it to send you updates for World of Warcraft!

Such methods of distribution have their place in a legal society. Banning them just because of a few bad eggs is cutting off the nose to spite the face. Sure, we should stop people from downloading shit illegally, but tearing out legally used shit to do so? Then hell, let's ban automobiles; alcohol; guns; knives; anything that can be used to commit a crime, because dDave, this is what you are saying, whether you mean to or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zenheizer

needs practice
I used to download all the time.
Then I found YouTube for all my music needs.

This number does seem low, like ysabel said how can you measure this?
My change to not download is just a lifestyle change for me, but I remember in my prime I did it every day, hundreds of megs.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I would say 90% and not just 9%.
I'm sure almost everyone downloads illegally so the OP number is not accurate.
^ What she said.

You'd think that a lot more people would be affected by the LimeWire shutdown than just 9%, doesn't seem accurate.

As bad as it sounds, I still download music illegally. The problem with music piracy is that its just so easy to do. If we're gonna talk about what legal and illegal, isn't it also technically illegal to watch videos on YouTube? Even if there were no P2P programs available, people would probably find another way to get music. cough*YouTube-to-mp3-converter*cough That said, it should be noted that I do buy my music, but only if its to support independent bands and artists... not for someone like Kanye, who's already rolling in dough.

dDave

V.I.P.
The bittorrent protocol isn't just used for illegal shit, it's also used for legal purposes. Upon downloading the latest uTorrent, I was asked if I wanted to download a legal copy of the second episode of Pioneer One. Linux distributions and other such large files are legally distrubuted through the bittorrent protocol.

Companies like CBC, the Norwegian Broadcasting Company, the UK government, and other major groups all use the bittorrent protocol to distribute shit. I mean, hell, Activision Blizzard use it to send you updates for World of Warcraft!

Such methods of distribution have their place in a legal society. Banning them just because of a few bad eggs is cutting off the nose to spite the face. Sure, we should stop people from downloading shit illegally, but tearing out legally used shit to do so? Then hell, let's ban automobiles; alcohol; guns; knives; anything that can be used to commit a crime, because dDave, this is what you are saying, whether you mean to or not.
Ok I guess that came off incorrectly. I should have been more clear, I understand that bittorrent is used for many legal purposes but it needs some serious work, it's used very frequently as a means to download illegal media, I know because tons of people I know use it.

What I do have a problem with is tons of stuff being run through it illegally and nobody seems to care.

With Limewire being shut down bittorrent is going to get huge, illegal material going through it is going to be more rampant than ever.

Limewire was the same as torrents by the way, the programs themselves are perfectly legal (I understand that) but what can and is being done over the programs is where the problem lies. Limewire had legal things to download as well as illegal material just like a torrent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Unfortunately, the best that can actually be done is for ISPs to monitor bittorent traffic (which is nigh impossible, considering the amount of data that actually goes through the bittorrent protocol), or to put up trackers or seeds that are being monitored by law officials.

And don't forget about usenet. Considering that using usenet to download things is supposed to be the safest way to commit piracy, then people might just start paying for access to a high-speed usenet account.