• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nikloai Volkoff Passes Away

HabsMike25

Registered Member
I remember the 80's when Volkoff would sing Soviet Union National Anthem to get heel heat & it worked big time. Few did it better

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Nikolai Volkoff was my first exposure to Russians in pro wrestling. He wasn't as talented as let's say Nikita Koloff - my favorite Russian ever - but singing the Soviet anthem drew so much heat that it's exactly what he needed to do to get over. Apparently, a very nice man as well.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
In some interviews he gave, he said he began playing a taped Soviet anthem in Bill Watts' territory. Watts told him if he ever forgot the tape, he would be fined the first time and fired the second. So one time, he forgot the tape, and, fearing Watts, told the ringside announcer that he would sing it instead. Watts liked it, and told him to keep doing it.

RIP

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
RIP Volkoff. He was a bit before my time so I wasn't able to appreciate any of his work until many decades later but he was definitely a legend.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Amazing read indeed. Definitely makes you think about how much power wrestlers back then could really have on a global scale when it came to changing perceptions and getting people involved socially.