NHL's dream match up

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Millz, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

The NHL got exactly what they wanted this playoffs. They got a New York team, they got a Chicago team but more importantly they got Sidney Crosby vs Alexander Ovechkin.

Sid the Kid vs Alexander the Great is to the NHL what Bird vs Magic was for the NBA. This is the money maker...these are the best in the sport. I hope for the NHL's sake and me personally that the series goes a full 7.

Thoughts?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I am really excited for Crosby vs Ovechkin, I personally believe Alexander is better then Sidney, but when they've faced eachother it seems Crosby outplays Ovechkin.

It's definitely going to be a physical battle between the two and I wont be surprised if they start bashing eachother just like they did in the regular season.

3. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

This will be the best series in the second round, a ways of ahead of the next best (DET/ANH) and I cannot wait for it to start. I also think Ovechkin is the better all-around player... he can score, he can feed and he can hit. Crosby can really only do two of those things, along with a whole lot of whining to the refs.

Ovechkin and Semin > Malkin and Crosby.

4. LV2XLR8

LV2XLR8 Registered Member

Yep, though i think the Pens will be too much for washington unless Mike Green becomes productive again

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Here's are the interesting match ups in this series:

Crosby vs Ovechkin: Biggest rivals in the NHL when it comes to two players, always battling to see who is the best.

Ovechkin vs Malkin: Supposely Ovechkin punched out Malkin's agent, and they hated eachother, but from what we seen at the all star game, it seems like they renewed their friendship.

Boudreau vs Bylsma: Boudreau took over mid-way last season and led the Capitals in the playoffs. Bylsma did the same thing this season.

Gonchar vs Green: Both aren't great defensive players, but they can rack up the points, and score goals.

6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Lets not forget the first round Cali (San Jose) vs. Cali (Anaheim) series. I swear the more I heard that on the XM Home Ice station the more I got into it. They'd kept saying "They've wanted a Calif. on Calif. round 1 for a long time, these are the things games that make and heat up rivalries".

So yeah that was a great matchup to have also, so lets not forget that ;)

7. Millz

Pitt vs Was >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SJ vs Ana

about 10 times better

8. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

We'll have to wait and see about that. If Washington sweeps, or gets it in five... the series won't be all that good. It needs to go the full seven to be great.

I would say, if the Sharks can ever figure out the playoffs and the Ducks stay good.... SJ and Anahiem would be the better series.

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Now Now... you asked if the NHL got what it wanted, lol a San Jose / Anaheim is exactly the culmination of 3-4 seasons worth of Emphasis on Division heavy regular season series's. They were Rival Growing since the announcement of the new schedules, and I believe the San Jose / Anaheim series is exactly what they were looking for. Because! Now that there is even worse blood via the Playoffs... next season (pending the clubs dont clean house on the roster) will be full of bad blood between these two. If you ask me, thats entertaining hockey and thats what the NHL was attempting to do with the new season schedules.

10. Millz

I dont know if it evens matters how many games it goes to be honest. It would help, but pocket book wise and exposure of the sport wise this is as good as it gets.

I think Boston/Montreal, Washington/Pittsburgh, New York vs anybody, Chicago vs anybody, Detroit vs anybody, Los Angeles vs anybody and a bunch of Canadian teams are all things they'd want before San Jose/Anaheim. Maybe I'm wrong, I could just be making things up.

But to the series...

Ovechkin AND Crosby both got hat tricks last night.

Let me repeat...they BOTH got hat tricks. Simply amazing.