• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NHLPA signs off on realignment plan

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Just saw this on rotoworld.com...

The NHLPA has accepted the NHL's realignment plan.

It will be re-evaluated after the 2014-15 campaign, so it's certainly possible that there will be tweaks in the not too distant future. For now though, assuming the plan is as previously reported, the NHL will be divided into four divisions, two per conference. The Eastern Conference will have 16 teams and the Western Conference 14, which means that Western teams will have a statistically superior chance of making the playoffs. The top three teams in each division will make the playoffs and there will be two wild cards per conference. It's worth noting that the ownership still has to agree to the plan, although it would be shocking if they vote against the league's proposal.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=659069&navid=DL|NHL|home

Looks like its finally going to happen!
------
In case you're wondering how the 4 divisions will look I will provide that below. The Winnipeg Jets will come to the Western Conference and the Columbus Blue Jackets and Detroit Red Wings are going to the Eastern Conference. Going to feel weird for a Detroit hater like myself to not have to worry about Detroit as much haha

Central Division in the Eastern Conference:

Detroit Red Wings
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Montreal Canadians
Toronto Maple Leafs
Florida Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Ottawa Senators

Atlantic Division in the Eastern Conference:

Columbus Blue Jackets
Carolina Hurricanes
Washington Capitals
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
New Jersey Devils
New York Rangers
New York Islanders

Midwest Division in the Western Conference:

St Louis Blues
Chicago Blackhawks
Winnipeg Jets
Dallas Stars
Colorado Avalanche
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators

Pacific Division in the Western Conference:

Anaheim Ducks
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm definitely a Red Wings hater but it never feels like a legit rivalry, probably because they're usually beating the Blues. :lol:

Anyway I like that Winnipeg is now a part of our division, and it gives me even more reason to cheer for the Lightning as they take on the Red Wings.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its definitely going to be weird and us in the Western Conference have a huge advantage over the East too since they have 16 teams and 8 make the playoffs and we'll have 14 teams with 8 making the playoffs.

The top 3 teams from each division make the playoffs and then there are 2 wild card teams who will make it, regardless of division.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
I'm really excited for divisional playoffs. I will miss the chance for an 8 seed to take out the Presidents Trophy winner, but I'll gladly take divisional playoffs. It should create some good locational rivalries, and, sooner or later, if not this year, I'd kind of like to see a Ducks/Kings series, which would be really good for hockey here in Southern California. The one thing I'm pissed out, though, is my Stars being in such a tough division. They'll probably miss the playoffs a while longer until the team gets significantly better.

By the way, I'm very disappointed that they didn't give the conferences names, like the old Norris, Adams, Smythe, and Patrick divisions, or even some new names like Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, etc.

Last edited:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ah yeah I didn't even think about the divisional names, Les. I wish they woulda done something like that too but I guess they can still change their minds, right? haha

I like your idea of Lemieux, Gretzky, etc...I'd add Orr and Howe probably

One good thing about the new divisions is you can talk smack with Diomedes and me about the Blues/Stars and then also Smel and Pretzel with the Jets haha

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Easier travel for Wings in Eastern time zone. Beats having to travel to Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver for playoffs.