NHL wants 2 winter classic games

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Millz, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I like that its only ONE game per season but if they want to have one in America and one in Canada then I'm okay with it.

icegoat63 likes this.

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Calgary / Edmonton... Theres no doubt about that one. Make it the Alberta Rivalry you know enough people from there will show up! I mean I may even watch it if it were a rivalfull game like that.

But meh, I'm not to keen on the concept of another game. I mean from one side (my business schooled side) its a great idea. They are making boucoup amounts of money and profiting more off the one spectacle than they are any other game during the season so why not exploit it twice instead of once.

But then the other side of me (the hockey fan) says dont... its bad enough they are doing it once a year now; the winter game was meant to be an honor. Something that was rare, happened maybe once every 2-3 years kinda like the Olympics. But now they are gonna overdo it and it'll turn the game into nothing more than just another game. I'm not a fan of them doing it every year as it is. Hell I didnt even support it last year, I didnt watch it, heck I dont even remember who played! All I know is Ty Conklin was there :hah:. Seriously though, I dont like it.

Millz likes this.
  3. Marvelous1

Marvelous1 Registered Member

They are overdoing it and thereby making it less special. But hey at least there not trying to play outdoor games in Florida or Arizona! (although I wouldn't put it past them to try!). I heard that the first game will be Boston vs. Philidelphia. And the rumour is game 2 may be Calgary vs. Vancouver.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally don't mind if there's two outdoor games. I really enjoy them, so seeing two of them in one season wouldn't bother me. I think it's good to have one in Canada and one in the United States. But they have to be careful where they do the outdoor game in the United States since, some places don't really care about the sport. You don't really have to worry about that with Canada.

5. Marvelous1

Apparently the NHLPA isn't to crazy about the the idea of 2 outdoor games which may scuttle the idea.
    ------
    TSN is reporting there will be no outdoor classic in Calgary this year but there may be one at Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

The olympic stadium... is that the one that resembles a big frying pan?

7. Marvelous1

Yes! That is in fact the stadium in question. Or as the people of Montreal call it, the big owe!

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I guess you can say that. Here's the picture to what it resembles.

[​IMG]