NHL: The Mid July Rumor Mill

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by icegoat63, Jul 20, 2008.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Sundin to Canucks?

Swedish newspaper nearly started an international incident on Sunday as they reported that Mats Sundin has agreed to play for the Vancouver Canucks, a claim that Sundin's Swedish representative denies.

Sundin's Swedish based representative Claes Elefalk claims the story in the Daily News is completely false, claiming that reporter Dusan Umicevic contacted him seeking a quote. Despite Elefalk telling the reporter that his information was incorrect, Umicevic published the story anyway.

While the Canucks remain one of the team's that Sundin is considering, he has yet to make a decision as to whether or not he will play next season.

Earlier this week, Canucks general manager Mike Gillis discussed the Sundin situation on a Vancouver radio station, stating he was encouraged to continue an on-going dialoge with Sundin and that he is still confident that Sundin would accept the Canucks' two-year, $20 million contract.

Sundin's agent J.P. Barry confirmed the Canucks' interest, however he stated that his client would take his time in making a decision, which would likely occur sometime in late July or early August.

"The Vancouver offer and the time that Mike (Gillis) has spent with Mats is important," Barry told TSN. "But ultimately Mats has to decide to play and that is the first step here."

~~~~~

more to come

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The rumours of Sundin going to the Canucks have been going on for quite some time. I think he would be a great addition to the team, he would play with one of the Sedin twins, which would make a great line.

I am surprise though that he's still interested to play for them, especially that Naslund signed a two year deal to play with the Rangers, I thought he wanted to play with Naslund.

I'm also mad because I really expected him to go to Montreal, he showed a bit of interest of playing there. I would of love to have Sundin, he might be at his tail end of career, but he does so much on the ice and still has some left tank.

Clear_Note likes this.