NHL Preseason Games

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I know there really isnt a whole lot of stress over Preseason games, but to be honest I have always enjoyed them. Lots of young players trying to make the big club, tons of flashy yet semi-careless play. But best of all are the locations! So far I've got a few confirmed places that some NHL Clubs will be visiting, for instance:

Islanders to play Flyers in London, ONT Sept 25th

Now, they're coming back to the John Labatt Centre for another exhibition game -- making this nearly an annual occurrence since the arena opened in 2002 -- against Ted Nolan's New York Islanders on Sept. 25. Tickets for the lower bowl are expected to top out at $71.75.
Source

Calgary and Phoenix to play Sept. 24 in Winnipeg, Manitoba

Calgary, AB - The Calgary Flames announced today that they will play a pre-season game against the Phoenix Coyotes at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba on Wednesday, September 24, 2008.
Source

Kings vs. Sharks hosted by the Utah Grizzlies at the E Center in Salt Lake City

The Utah Grizzlies will host an NHL preseason game Sunday, Oct. 5, at the E Center between the Los Angeles Kings and San Jose Sharks.

Kings president Luc Robitaille is in West Valley City today to make the official announcement, which is scheduled for a 1:30 p.m. news conference.

Tickets for the 7 p.m. game will go on sale to the public beginning Aug. 1. Grizzlies season ticket holders will be able to make advance purchases.

It's the first NHL exhibition game in Salt Lake City in nearly a decade.
Source
So with all of these Pre-Season games being played in the minor league markets, what do you all feel or think about that? Basically in a nutshell, how do you feel about Pre-Season games? Good Or Bad?

I recall attending a Sharks/Ducks game 2 seasons ago that was played here in town at the Save Mart Center (Fresno, California) and I absolutely loved it. I dont naturally live in an NHL town, we have Pro Hockey, but its ECHL. SO to see the NHL clubs actually playing in my hometown was an ultimate blast.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like watching pre-season games, because it gives me a chance to watch the Canadiens prospects. It shows who has a chance to make the NHL in a couple of years and you get a chance to watch recent draft picks.

I personally find pre-season really entertaining, all those young kids try to make the big club so they leave everything on the ice.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
What really made the PreSeason game I went to extra fun for me was the fact it was the very first NHL game I'd ever gone to! Almost immedietly after that however I ended up going to San Jose a couple times during their season to catch some games.

I am a huge fan of the Preseason games and do NOT think they should go anywhere. I have heard talk about how they are unfair to the fan and the time spent playing them should just be converted to regular season. Thats all crap if you ask me.

Also... this is my 1000th post, I think by now MJ I'm sure I've contributed enough to your referral limit. Thanks for the invite to this site, obviously I enjoy it here.

padd

Registered Member
I hate the pre season, and I'll tell you why. In 2002-2003 Montreal had the best record in the pre-season.. but missed the playoffs that year. I never pay attention to the pre-season, it's worthless play. The teams don't even try their best.. the best players aren't even on the roster.. the prospects make an impression but who take it into much consideration if the other teams may not be giving it their all.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's a reason why reason why the best players don't play all the time, first the pre-season is one to get back into hockey shape and second is to see how your prospects fair against NHL talent, it helps the management to evaluate, who's ready to be called up if needed and who's not ready for the NHL just yet.

I believe the pre-season is a very important time for the NHL clubs. IT helps in a lot of different ways, and just trust me those rookie play there hearts out everytime they step onto the ice during pre-season play.