NHL on NBC (today! like right now d00d!)

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Eh... as an NHL fan, I think it's my duty to point out that the NHL is having a rare nationwide broadcast on NBC right now, featuring one of 3 games depending on area of the country. Thankfully, I'm on the west coast about to watch the Flyers versus Avs. Then there's also the Red Wings versus Rangers (my choice for 2nd most interesting game today) and then the Bruins versus Stars (meh.... Bruins have 3 former Sharks players, so I guess I'm obligated to be a little interested in that too). But anyways, later. To the television I go. If you've never watched hockey before and know nothing about the sport, this would be the time to check it out. I hear some players will be wearing mics during the play, and if I know the NHL, Jeremy Roenick will be strapped. He's da man!

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I totally forgot that JR got traded... to the LA Kings, which is who the Sharks were playing today on NBC. Like a fool I slept through the day and missed most of the game, but tuned in with just enough time to see the Sharks tie the game 3-3 with :29 left in the third period and then win the game with a beautiful upstairs goal over the goalie's arm in the closing seconds of overtime. So far, the NHL on NBC has not let me down once. Now if only they could show some NON-local teams for a change.

I wish they would show more Red Wings games here. I know I live in Leaf Country but the Leafs suck. That's the best part about living here and being pretty much the only Wings fan in town; you're the only one who's a winner.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
You're in Toronto? That's not too incredibly far away from Detroit, but I guess they must not show the games because they're in a difference conference. Me and buckeye were just talking about the lack of nationwide teams in the NBC/ABC/ESPN regional coverage. I'm on the west coast and just happen to luck out with good games every now and then, but I hear it gets repetitive and boring for most people.

The Leafs aren't that incredibly bad. They have some good star players don't they? Seems like they just have a lot of tough competitors in their division and don't remain consistant enough in the playoffs. They're like the Avs of the east.

They show Wings games once in a while but it's pretty rare. I don't live in Toronto but I'm about 45 minutes away. I have always hated the Leafs. I don't know why, it's just a natural feeling I guess. I think it's more the fans that I hate than the team. The fans are crap. All season I hardly see anything that has to do with the Leafs but the second they are in the playoffs, everyone's a fan. I hate the whole bandwagon thing. I know Toronto isn't the only place it happens but since I live the closest to them, I'll use them as my example. A few years ago I wore my Wings jersey the day after they got knocked out of the playoffs. REAL fans wear their teams' jersey no matter what, win or lose. I've been made fun a million times for being a Wings fan but I still have pride and I still show off my team spirit. The day after the Leafs get out of the playoffs, all the Leaf jersey's out there and all the Leaf gear is taken down until they make the playoffs next. Meh, to me that's not really being a fan.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Yeah it really sucks when fans are sellouts like that. Or when they're just fans because there's nothing to do in their town and when the playoffs come it gives them something to get excited about. Sometimes that happens here in the Bay Area with the Sharks, but usually the fans who get into the Sharks because they're in the playoffs end up staying with the team afterwards. It's not like a thing where they're just in it cause they're winning it.

Well, I guess that officially knocks Toronto off my list of places in Canada to consider moving to. Bah... I've been wearing blue my whole life anyways. Time for a change of pace. Wonder how Flame Red would look...

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I watched like 5 minutes of the Red Wings game today on NBC, but the announcers were terrible and I couldn't stand listening to them anymore. I hate Canadian accents. against = agaynst. out = oot. about = aboot. Very annoying.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Why were Canadiens announcing the Wings, Stars game? Neither is in Canada.

I expected to see that game since it's the most local to where I'm at, but ended up seeing the Penguins, Rangers game instead. That was nice. Game was a blowout, but it was nice to see Sidney Crosby for the first time.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Probably because NBC hired Canadian announcers. And I told you the Rangers are on TV all the time.