NHL Officially Implements "Blindside Rule": 5 Minute Major + Ejection

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

oh joy... another rule for Crosby to dive for.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying intentional blindside hits are ever welcome. But as All the greats have said in their Memoirs and interviews.... Keep your Damn Heads up and this wouldnt be an issue.

Phil Esposito pretty much attributed Eric Lindros' short career to his inability to keep his head up and his lust for playing in the corners.

The rule isnt bad... I'm just not excited to see yet another rule implemented that favors the "family friendly".

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree, one of the major reasons why players get blindsided is because players don't keep their heads up.

But on the other hand, players like Matt Cooke will throw out their elbows and give Savard a concussion. So it works both ways which is why I do like the new rule. That's just one example of many from just last season.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I feel ya, I really do... but follow me for a second and maybe you'll see where I'm coming from. I'm not defending the Matt Cookes or the Marty McSorleys or the other hacks in the game who are lucky to log 5 minutes of ice time a month.

But if Savard is Elbowed by Cooke.... then wheres the "Elbowing" call?

or if Cooke did it against the Boards... wheres the Boarding Call?

or maybe it was behind him?

Was Savard in control of the Puck at the time or was this an off the wall act of malicious violence... wheres the interference call?

or Roughing?

The issue I have is that's what.... 5 penalties that I can think of and relate to a malicious elbowing incident in a matter of maybe 3 seconds. Every single one of them escalates from 2 minutes to 5 minutes to Game Misconduct to fine / penalty. Why cant the officials use the damn rules that we already have?

We wouldn't need a new rule every time Avery wiggles his stick, or Pronger does whatever Pronger does, or any other Hack for that matter ruffles some Soccer Moms feathers by playing an aggressive style of hockey.... if the officials would just regulate the game by the disgustingly large rule book they already have... we wouldn't need these addenda every time a scorer gets pancaked.

Am I missing something? I mean this is what I believe is wrong with Bettman era NHL. The addition to the rule books have been nasty, Hockey is a very simple sport. Yet if you asked any random person on the street what "icing" was in hockey I bet you they'd have no clue. Why? Because they see all these moving parts, icing, 2-line pass*, offsides, delay of game, Power Play, Penalty Kill, Oh Noes to many things going on. But in reality its not... The Bettman era however IS making it complicated. Growing up as a child of the 80's and playing in the 90's, Hockey was like life... Do onto others as you want done to you. Back in those days if a Cooke nailed a Savard out of line... a Scott "Sheriff" Parker would set that Cooke straight..... In Bettmans NHL, now the Sheriff is just as evil as Cooke and gets a 3rd man in plus an immediate suspension. I want hockey to be played like it was meant to be played, with Flow, with Aggression, with Emotion. There are too many rules now punishing every damn action that made the game great. if you asked me what I believe the NHL Front office should do... I say scrap the whole damn NHL Rule book and start taking notes;

YouTube - Slapshot

it just disgusts me... lol I'll stop there,

*ps... i threw that in there to see if you were paying attention