Hockey NHL Off-season thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Been reading today that Habs are going after Loui Eriksson and Milan Lucic.

If Lucic ends up playing with the Habs, hell will truly have frozen over.
But, but, Subban was traded because of character issues. It makes to sense to sign a piece of shit like Lucic. PS: I want no part of Lucic.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Subban wasn't traded over character issues. Not even close. A lot of people felt and were afraid he wasn't a team guy and he was using the Montreal Canadiens to push him and his brands forward. He did not have much love in that room - not a single player voted for him to win the award for his hospital donation. That also irked many in the organization because he went around the team, didn't use the teams charities or their channels, and created his own foundation.

There's more, a lot more... like how some players didn't like when Subban fell and gave up a game winning 3-1... he went in the room, throw his skates as the trainer to sharpen them. Never accepting part or partial blame. He was never wrong. He wasn't playing a team first game.

I love Subban, he is a great player and guy. Let's not fool ourselves and not see he did have some issues that went beyond character.

Now we have Weber. Not as good as Subban but still a good defenceman. He can add value to this team. He can still put up goals and assists. 40 assisted 3 years in a row. If he retires before his contract is us, it's Nashville that has to pay him, not Montreal. So really, that lost some skill for some cap flexibility and some extra maturity and knowledge.

Weber also just helped us land Radulov who can be an awesome addition if thing pan out. Also - Radulov is not the same guy from four years ago. Wife and a kid makes you change what you do.

Habs had a decent Free Agent Day. Radulov, Montoya, Redmond and signed the #9 pick from this draft!

Crypticshock

Registered Member
He;s changed. Coming from a lot of Russian scouts that he has changed and was easily one on the best forwards in the league. Federov vouched that he is a changed person. Like I said over and over - the tale will be told on the ice.

Unity

Flawless Victory
Staff member
Late to comment but really glad Stamkos signed again with Tampa - I would have hated to see him go to a team I didn't like. Glad the Bolts can stay competitive (hopefully) in the years to come.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Rangers traded Derrick Brassard for Mika Zibanejad and a 2018 first round pick.

The last few years, Brassard gave them a lot. He never seemed to want to step up into the top center role, he was sort of 1a or 1b with Derrick Stepan. But he went from an assist guy to a goal scorer last year when it was clear that Rick Nash was having a bad season. And he was a really good playoff performer each of the last 3 years. I will miss him.

Both teams are winners in this trade. I believe Zibanejad needed a change of scenery. This will help him.

Unity

Flawless Victory
Staff member
Pieterangelo is the best pick to be a captain on that team. He's been a leader since his World Junior days.
It's funny to me how many people on social media in St. Louis are divided - some are absolutely unhappy but I'd say that most are satisfied with the selection.