NHL in Turmoil

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
TORONTO -- Denying that the National Hockey League is in crisis, commissioner Gary Bettman says there won't be contraction of any of the ailing franchises in the 30-team group.

Bettman was in Toronto yesterday and didn't miss a Sun Media feature on six trouble spots in the league, almost all in the U.S. south. A combination of the sagging economy, poor fan interest, bad arena location and poorly run clubs is a situation similar to the 1930s, when the financially squeezed league went from 10 teams to six and on to thirty years of success.

London Free Press - Hockey - Bettman denies crisis
The teams that are within about 2 years of folding include:

New York Islanders
Atlanta Thrashers
Nashville Predators
Florida Panthers
Phoenix Coyotes
Tampa Bay Lightning

They also said that their are three other teams that are in deep trouble;
Devils/Blues/Blue Jackets also are on the loosing end of revenues and fans staying away in droves..With the economy the way it is it's only going to get worse ....

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
All the clubs that have been mentioned don't surprise me at all. When I watch their games there's barely any fans at the arena, and when they play the Canadiens there's more Habs fans than anything else in their own arena.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if those teams folded. Personally I would like to see more teams in Canada. No offense to you Americans, but Canadian teams make more revenue than most of the American teams. The only two that I believe that are near the top are Detroit and New York. There might be a few more, but I doubt it. There's a lot of cities in Canada that could have another franchise. I wouldn't mind seeing Quebec and Winnipeg have another franchise after folding years ago.

I really hope the NHL will bring expansion teams to Canada, it would really help them in the revunue department.

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
There's a lot of cities in Canada that could have another franchise. I wouldn't mind seeing Quebec and Winnipeg have another franchise after folding years ago.

I really hope the NHL will bring expansion teams to Canada, it would really help them in the revunue department.
I agree with you, but the issue thats been brought up over and over about Canadian cities like Quebec and Winnipeg is that the Corporate Support just isnt there. The guys on home ice said its absolutely possible for an NHL Franchise to never even draw flies during a whole season and yet still be a succesful money making business.

Now this is where I get confused, because obviously as we're seeing, the Clubs down in the South are struggling bad. I absolutely hate the fact that the real fans down there are gonna lose their franchises but the truth of the matter is they just didnt market the product good enough to build that grassroots fan base. And to me, had the NHL or the individual clubs taken the same marketing war as NASCAR did down in the south or the rest of the US... chances are these clubs could be thriving.

I do agree that Canada needs more teams, but for that to work they're gonna have to some how con American Corporations to lunk out some money to those teams before that will ever happen. That apparently was what the issue was at Winnepeg.. they could pack a house like no other franchise, but yet they still went bankrupt 'cause theres just no big money support there.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I dont see why the Blues are on the list. We are in the top 10 in total attendance and almost sell out every game.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Fan attendance is really only the bonus, For a team to thrive they have to have that corporate backing. If the Blues lost some big money to say the Cards or the Rams... it'll show on the Blues' bank account big time.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's two things that are really stopping teams to go back in Quebec and Winnipeg. One of them is what you mentioned Ice, that would be Corporate Sponsors and the other one would be a new arena. Both of these two cities need new arenas if they want NHL back there. Which is always easier said than done.

They were talks a couple of years ago that Jim Balssilie was going to buy the Predators and move them to Hamilton, he had an arena and everything, but Bettman turned down sell of the Preds, which in my opinion was a big mistake of his part.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Fan attendance is really only the bonus, For a team to thrive they have to have that corporate backing. If the Blues lost some big money to say the Cards or the Rams... it'll show on the Blues' bank account big time.
Makes sense to me and you're right but I know someone who works for the Blues and he said they are doing just fine. We are well under the cap and attendance is high. I'm sure corporate backing could be better.
------
I should add the reason I say that is because I've specifically asked him about their financial situation because I see our name all the time.

Last edited:
New York Islanders
Atlanta Thrashers
Nashville Predators
Florida Panthers
Phoenix Coyotes
Tampa Bay Lightning
Notice that 4 of these teams are expansions teams ??

I have been to Blue Jacket games and the attendance is great and they are doing great as well.

Turbo

Registered Member
The teams that are within about 2 years of folding include:

New York Islanders
Atlanta Thrashers
Nashville Predators
Florida Panthers
Phoenix Coyotes
Tampa Bay Lightning

They also said that their are three other teams that are in deep trouble;
Devils/Blues/Blue Jackets also are on the loosing end of revenues and fans staying away in droves..With the economy the way it is it's only going to get worse ....
the isles wouldn't be missed, even by their own fans. the only time they sell out is if the big teams like the rangers or devils come in. atlanta and nashville actually have more fans then people think. its just poor player management hurting them. the panthers, coyotes, and lightning are in a rebuilding phase at a poor time.

as to the blues and blue jackets, both have support and solid cores but between injuries and division they aren't in the best of shape. and the devils are in trouble because they built a new arena that they are now realizing wasn't a good business move, is in a lousy location, and are charging outrageous amounts for tickets. big lou might've ruined this team.