• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NHL implements Hybrid icing

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you're wondering what that means please see below...

The NHLPA has approved hybrid icing for the 2013-14 campaign. That means we'll see the rule in effect on Tuesday. What that means is that if the defending player is tied or leading a race to the puck in an icing situation once he reaches the his own zone's faceoff dots, then the linesman whistles the play dead and it's treated as an icing. If the attacking player is leading the race by that point, then the play continues as it normally would. The idea is to prevent a lot of high-speed hits along the boards that can lead to some serious injuries. However, some players are concerned that the linesman might end up calling icing on plays where the attacking player would have otherwise won the race.

I get why they are doing it and I guess I am okay with it but I wanna see how it plays out over the course of the season.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
I was surprised that this went through, given how mixed opinion was on it. From what I heard on the NHL Network, it was not a close vote and it went through without a problem. I personally don't like it, and I saw a lot of missed calls in the preseason. Yeah, I get that it's safer, but it also requires too much of a judgement call from the linesman, and it doesn't seem like an exact science. Hopefully it doesn't end up deciding the Stanley Cup Final or keeping some team out of the playoffs.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
It'll be interesting to see how this works out. It'll hopefully result in less injuries, but hopefully it doesn't become a thorn in the side. It'll also be interesting to see what ways the teams use this new type of icing into some strategies.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I dunno I mean sometimes its tough to tell who touches the puck first on some icings just like it'll be tough to tell who "has the lead" as the puck goes down the ice.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think this is a good change to the icing rule actually, just for the safety of the players. The players still get to race to the faceoff dots, so it's better than automatic icing. I don't see how hybrid icing is anymore of a judgement call than regular icing.