NHL governors considering expansion to Toronto

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by icegoat63, Oct 21, 2008.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

TORONTO -- NHL governors are talking informally about placing a second hockey team in Toronto alongside the Maple Leafs, The Globe and Mail has learned.

"Why shouldn't we put another team in the best and biggest market in the world?" one of several NHL governors who spoke anonymously said of the Greater Toronto Area.

According to this governor, one idea floated is for prospective owner Jim Balsillie to be rewarded with an expansion team in Toronto after helping to restore financial ballast to the Nashville Predators.

Source

meh... so much for Las Vegas eh?!?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally don't think it's going to happen anytime soon, but if it did then it would a smart investment from the NHL, Toronto is one of the biggest hockey markets in the NHL, and two teams could defenitely co-exist.

3. icegoat63

I recall the big issue before was that 50 mile zone that the NHL is supposed to respect. By sticking another Team in Toronto they'll be violating that rule...

4. padd

padd Registered Member

In that case wouldnt the new team have to pay$ homage to the Leafs.

5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Wow really? I'm all for some of the southern teams to move to Canada or at least up North but a second team in Toronto? What about Quebec City or Winnipeg or Saskatchewan?

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

All those would be a great place to have a hockey team, well maybe not Sakatchewan. But the thing is it would be very hard for Winnipeg and Quebec to have enough money to built a new Arena.

We all know they would have the fan support, but both of these places need new Arenas, and I dont believe they have the fund to do so.

7. Millz

The money was the issue with the Nordiques and the Jets, right? Wouldn't the new NHL give them a better chance to be able to house a team or are they that poor? I'm not sure about Saskatoon...I know they wanted to buy the Blues in the early 1980's but it didn't work out.

8. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

the league must be ignoring rules, first they ignore rule 14D and let Luongo and Toskala be named captains and now this.

if the league expands it'll be two teams because there's a lot of talk about hitting the 32 team mark. i don't see adding another team near toronto because it could take away from both the Leafs and Sabres. My vote for expansion is Las Vegas and Seattle.

9. Millz

They need to contract some teams before they add more IMO.

10. icegoat63

Well the reason They were saying last season that Canada has so little team success (ie: Jets, Nordiques, and a few others) have gone under was because of the lack of Commercial (big money) support. Yeah they can easily fill an arena ten times faster than the Thrashers can on a good night... but the Thrashers have that Corprorate support that keeps them afloat.

I'd wanna say Las Vegas would be a huge move! Seattle is definitely my second favorite, In my opinion I'd jump on a Seattle Teams bandwagon in a heartbeat.