• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NHL Fans

SamusAran86

Registered Member
With the season finally Canceled will the NHL ever be the same?... Its the first time a Major Sport has ever lost a whole season to lockout/strike

Personally, I do not think the NHL will recover, the union/players wanted a 49 million salary cap, while owners wanted 42.5... if the NHL would have aggreed to the unions demands, and even with the salary rollback, most teams would still be spending more than they would have last season

No Hard Checks, No Fights, No Penalty Boxes, No Stanley Cup!

?? If they get things fixed for next season, will the Tampa Bay Lightning still be the defending champions ??

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
As long as the NHL doesn't make the same mistake as baseball where they "stoop" to a low level in some way after the strike (in baseball, it was the steroids), then yes I believe the sport will recover. Also, hockey may have fewer fans than baseball, but I believe they are more dedicated, so YES, they stand a good chance to recover.

Also, Calgary Flames for next season.... maybe.... but with hockey you never know.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
"Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll"

Why can I never vote in the polls? Anyway, I vote for "I don't care." There are better sports to watch during hockey season, like football, college hoops, NBA, golf. Only time I ever watch hockey anymore is during the playoffs, but that gets boring too.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
00vega said:
Hockey is a cool sport. It's the coolest sport there is.
Explain. What exactly makes it better (or "cooler") than similar sports like lax or soccer? And what makes those sports better than football or basketball?

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
soccer is fun to play, it's a good team sport and all, but let's face it, the field's too big, the goal is too, so is the projectile, it's all lower body, it's exhausting, it's VERY boring to watch, and the players do not alternate alot.

Lacrosse, same thing with the big field, the goals are really awkwardly shaped and there's not much a goalie can do to block stuff except stand there and hope it hits them, the scoring comes to easily, the people don't wear to much pads and take a whole bunch of needless pain from those god damned metal sticks, and it's just blah.

basketball would be a cool sport (in theory) and it's very athletic and fun to play, but it gives too much priviledge to natural ability. if you're not tall, then you'd be better off finding a different sport. Also, the pace is WAY too fast (opposite problem as soccer), they score too god damned much to the point where it doesn't really mean anything and there's basically NO real momentum or invested intensity whatsoever, and most of all, most importantly of all..... THERE'S TOO MANY GOD DAMNED FOULS!!!!! There's just WAY too much room for subjectivity, without any pads, the people are very needlessly vulnerable, and it gives favortism to the offense because as soon as the players TRY to play their position, they risk being called for something. it's like "OMG get some backbone!"

Football..... is it even fair to call that a sport? It's basically just a bunch of big people with BARELY enough padding trying to push each other over and run a ball down the field. There's not much complexity too it. Sure you could say that there's strategy and planning involved at the most professional level, but still, it favors natural ability and physicality too much such that more of the game is actually played OFF the feild when the athletes work out rather than ON the field when they actuallly have to play the game. there's no need to concentrate or balance all aspects of the athletes and it's mainly just about exerting your physicality to crush your opponents. BOOOOOORING. That's not a sport, that's a "war". And what's with the no padding on the knees and legs? Haven't these guys gotten injured enough to know that they're excessively vulnerable down there. That's another thing about the sport. You can't play it too much because people get injured too frequently.... and that's DESPITE all the upperbody padding.

Of course, I'm not saying that any of these sports are "bad". I'm just saying that they're not as interesting to me as hockey. That is all. All of this criticism comes as "exception" to the sport itself, but that's not the way I like to "define" the sport. These are just the problems I see, not the good aspects.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
And what's with the no padding on the knees and legs?
They do wear pads down there. They even have a pad for the tailbone.

There's two smaller pads for the knees and two larger ones with steel cores for the thighs.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
Explain. What exactly makes it better (or "cooler") than similar sports like lax or soccer? And what makes those sports better than football or basketball?
[sarcasm]Its called ICE[/sarcasm]

Pianobone

Registered Member
I voted "No Opinion."

I would have voted "I Don't Care Anymore," but in order for that to be true, I would have had to actually care about hockey at some point.

Teorropy

I feel bad that they have to argue over money and ruin the season for all the fans, but I also don't really care that much about hockey.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz Hockey 14
Babe_Ruth Hockey 39
Babe_Ruth Hockey 29
Konshentz Hockey 60
icegoat63 Hockey 3