• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NHL Fans Association asks Bettman to Retire

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I found this to be pretty damn interesting actually. The fans are finally to a boiling point with Mr. Bettman. And when you have someone this powerful staring you down... I dont think Bettman has much of a choice but to start making some moves.

In the summer of 1979, I was devastated to hear that Dryden – out of the red, white and blue – was retiring to pursue his legal career. He had just won his fourth straight Vezina trophy and fourth consecutive Stanley Cup with the Habs when he suddenly called it quits. It was so bewildering that, arguably, the best goalie in the NHL was retiring while still at the pinnacle of his game. Years later, I came to realize that Dryden was simply calling his own shots and I came to respect him for that courageous move. He left while still on top.

The time has come for you to retire as the commissioner of the NHL while you carry some respect.

There is a noticeable, growing groundswell developing among fans who want a new commissioner of their sport. As we both know, fans are the most important stakeholder in the NHL with the quietest voice. (You know my feelings about your track record when it comes to fan relations, but there’s no need to revive that dead horse today.)

If you truly care about the NHL, you would seize the moment and exit gracefully before the next round of CBA negotiations starts heating up. And what better time to usher in a new leader of the league than when the NHL Players’ Association is undergoing a governance review and is leaderless for the next few months? There’s no risk to the league when the NHL’s nemesis – the NHLPA – is in organizational turmoil.

I ask that you resign before January 1, 2010. If you are still in office in the new year, I will organize the 30,000 members of NHL Fans’ Association to encourage the NHL governors to replace you as commissioner. We feel that a new commissioner would be the best thing for the NHL.

I hope we are not facing off in the new year. Gary, timing is everything and it’s time for you to borrow a chapter from Ken Dryden and walk away from the game gracefully.

The Hockey News: Jim Boone's Blog: Jim Boone?s Blog: An open letter to Gary Bettman
How do you guys feel about this? The full letter in my opinion was well written. I'd like to see some actual action happen here. I just hope if 2010 does roll around we dont end up hurting the league more than it needs to be. And if Bettman does retire... I hope his successor isnt a "Family Friendly" wannabe either.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Very well said, I think I've said many times here that Gary Bettman is not good for the NHL. He hasn't done much good since taking the position in 1993. I think the worse was when the NHL went into a lockout for a full year. That killed the NHL in so many ways.

He made other stupid decision like having new expansion teams in markets where it was obvious it wouldn't be successful. The way he's handled Jim Balsillie bids to buy an NHL club and move them to Canada was poorly done as well.

Personally I've been wanting him to give his resignation for the longest time.

One thing that I don't agree with this article is where he says to step down while you have a bit of respect left. That little respect left the year of the lockout.

With all that being said, personally I don't think he's going to step down. He won't care if this article comes to reality.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I know Bettman is really attached to "The Hockey News". So I know he'll see this, its definitely not some small blog that will never make it to his laptop. Gary Bettman was doing a show on XM Home ice every Tuesday for just one hour. Thats the same radio station that houses many of the members of this NHL Fans Association.

Theres not a doubt in my mind that he will see this. Whether he acts on it or not I dunno. I do know that angry hockey fans can get ugly (just look at the Ducks fans fighting over the stick :hah:).

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think that he already knows that most hockey fans dislike the guy. He's been getting bad rep for so many years now. There's even a web page that is called www.garybettmansucks.com I'm sure he's seen that before as well. Also everytime he takes the podium for the NHL draft he gets booed so loud.

The thing is that he truly believe he's good for the NHL and he's making it better. He's so full of himself, I can't stand watching this guy being interviewed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz Hockey 14
Babe_Ruth Hockey 39
Babe_Ruth Hockey 29
Konshentz Hockey 60
SamusAran86 Sports 24