Hockey NHL Expansion in Seattle?

EdgeHead

Registered Member
If you poll people from Quebec City since yesterday, that Seattle announcement is probably the straw that broke the camel's back. There are less and less people - myself included, despite being a Habs fan - that believes Quebec City will ever get their team back. Plenty a people to blame for this: some are obviously blaming Gary Bettman's blatant disdain for Quebec City, others are blaming Quebecor - the prospected ownership group, they also own TVA Sports who has a partnership with the NHL - for not doing everything they could. But there are others who are firmly convinced that Habs owner & president Geoff Molson could also have played a factor in the whole thing. After all, now that he has an entire province at his disposal to build his team's fanbase, why would he wanna risk losing potentially half of it to a returning Quebec City team?

Personally, I'm starting to believe it's a mix of all 3; I still remember the day Gary Bettman had to announce that the Atlanta Thrashers were moving to Winnipeg. I've never seen him this pissed in my entire life. He put so many restrictions on the franchise in terms of ticket drives and such and gladly, Winnipeg proved him wrong and they're reaping the benefits at the moment. With Quebecor, I'm under the impression that the NHL uses them with the TV deal and the exhibition games every year during training camps. People in Quebec City are getting increasingly tired of seeing pre-season games. They want their Nordiques back and right now, the Centre Videotron has already lost 1/3 of their employees because there aren't enough events in the building. I don't know how long they'll stand this in Quebec City but it's the first time today that I've seen more jaded Nordiques fans than ever in my life. Almost everyone has now given up on the Nordiques coming back as they feel the "Only Seattle can apply for expansion" statement by Bettman was a huge slap to their faces. And as for Geoff Molson, he can say all the right things in front of the camera but if he's the only league governor saying it for the sake of looking good on TV, it's obvious to me that there isn't much support for another Quebec City franchise. I wonder if there will be sports writers who will eventually challenge Molson for real in this situation.

So, to sum it all up, the "Rêve Bleu" is over in Quebec City. And right now, I'm pained for my Nordiques fans friends who'll more than likely never see their favorite team because of the NHL management's greediness.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wonder who could be the GM for that team.

Bill Guerin from the Penguins will likely be a GM soon, but I don't know if an expansion team is a good fit. Same with Julian Brisebois in Tampa and Craig Heisinger in Winnipeg.

Dean Lombardi, the architect of two Cups with the Kings, is available. Ron Francis just got canned by Carolina, but he was working with one hand tied behind his back there.