• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NHL Draft Thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Unfortunately I won't be able to watch, but I'll follow who gets selected on my phone. Edmonton will have the first pick and a lot of people believe that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will be selected first overall. I personally believe they should go for Adam Larsson since they need a defenseman, but that's just me.

Personally I believe that Gabriel Landeskog will be the best player in four years from now. He's the most NHL ready right now, and he's real mature and he probably has the best overall game between every draft picks.

Montreal don't pick till the 17th pick, and they said they'll go with the best player available. They're not looking for a position in particular.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
The Sharks really needed a puck moving defenseman to take part of the load off of Dan Boyle. I like that half of the move. Setoguchi will be missed, but they really needed a good defenseman, and Setoguchi had been talked about as trade material for a while. Their problems at defense reared their ugly head in the Vancouver series, and I knew they were going to go after a defenseman like Burns. I don't think the Sharks are done quite yet. Look for them to go after a forward when free agency begins.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I watched pieces of the first hour and a half so that I could see Winnipeg.

It was a good presentation, the way they showed highlights by the chosen players was nice (one still stands out to me but I've already forgotten the kids name, involved an assist with some kind of spinning pass...anyone?).

It was just way too slow; all other drafts now seem rocket fast. My Blues don't even pick until tomorrow morning at around 10:00 a.m.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
It's funny that you say that the draft went by slowly because the commentators said that it was going by quicker than usual. I thought it was a pretty normal pace. Last year, it took longer from what I remember to get through it all. Drafts just take forever, and a lot of it is for spectacle.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I was the same as Unity, you know, being a Winnipeger 'n all.

Didn't follow too closely, because I don't know any of the names, but it did make for pretty good background noise until the 7th pick. Was looking forward to the announcement at the draft, so it was kinda disappointing that the cat was let out of the bag early, but still, real happy with the way things have turned out. Can't wait to see the jersey and logo now.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Brent Burns is a great pick up Kons, especially with the emergence of Logan Couture, you don't need Gutch anymore. Burns and Boys on the Power Play at the same time is pretty scary. You'll definitely love him.

Some surprising picks early on, not surprised that Nugent-Hopkins went first overall, and Ladeskog went second, but I am surprised that Couturier went that late to Philadelphia. They still another stud at the draft.

I'm happy with the Habs selection, Beaulieu is suppose to be a great offensive defensemen who will be a great player on our blue line in a few years. TSN compare him to Jack Johnson which is good enough for me.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Biz were you happy with the Sens' pick? :lol: :lol:

The Blues' first pick, 32nd overall, was Ty Rattie.

Rattie, Ty - St Louis Blues - News

Besides a pretty hilarious name, does anyone know this player? Have any opinions about him that I wouldn't be reading online?

Our next picks were Dmitrij Jaskin Jaskin, Dmitrij - St Louis Blues - News , Joel Edmundson Jaskin, Dmitrij - St Louis Blues - News, and Jordan Binnington Binnington, Jordan - St Louis Blues - News

and Yannick Veilleux. We also acquired Evgeny Grachev, a prospect with the Rangers, for a draft pick.

I'm only listing these names because I know nothing about NHL prospects other than the stats I might read...does anyone know any of these guys? I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was 'no' other than Ty Rattie, but I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz Hockey 3
Rontzeeez Hockey 17
Rontzeeez Hockey 7
N Hockey 8
Babe_Ruth Hockey 12