NHL commissioner Gary Bettman: No appetite to abolish fighting

Turbo

Registered Member
SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NHL Hockey stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from NHL Hockey columnists

This article was too long to copy as a quote. It basically discusses the issue of fighting in hockey since the death of a player in a senior league as a result of a concussion following an in game fight.

Many feel it should be removed from the game whereas others feel its part of the games heritage. I personally feel that fighting should remain as is. The league has gone nuts with some rules in recent years taking some of the grit and intensity away that it once had.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I can only think of a handful of skaters who have suffered severe injuries via a good ol' fashioned hockey fight. In a long 100+ year history of pro hockey... a handful makes that statistic pretty low.

None the less I'm glad to see Buttman decided to go public in his opinion about the whole situation.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It would be one the dumbmest things to do for the NHL, if you take out the fighting than you lose tons of fans, especially in the United States, probably not lots in Canada, but a lot of Americans watch hockey for the fighting.

Also you take fighting out of hockey, than it starts up more problems, people will use their sticks more, swing at players head with them.

It's just not a good idea to do it.

Turbo

Registered Member
The interesting thing here is hockey in Europe doesn't allow fighting. Its an automatic ejection to both players if a fight happens, which has resulted in no fighting.

However the problem is that fight doesn't happen enough to warrant a ban. It really only happens in big rivalries or when a team wants to try and change the pace of a game.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Europe and North American is very different. The Europeans weren't raised to watch fighting like the North Americans are. As you probably see in the NHL European never fight, and a lot of them dont know how to fight. Thats why it doesnt bother much fans in Europe that they ban fighting.

But it would defenitely piss off a lot of North American fans if it did happen.

Turbo

Registered Member
i agree it would piss many off here if it were banned. I think just because an issue occured in a senior league doesn't mean fighting will cause issues like that in the NHL. There are other issues that the league should be concentrating on with this much attention.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
And you can also see the difference in those Euro Players when they hit the NHL... They are hacky, slashing, nasty buttheads with their sticks. I'd most definitely rather see some a stoppage in play for some fisticuffs than a beautiful play ruined via Dr. Hook and his 12 foot stick.

Puckhead58

Registered Member
If they take fighting out of the game, they have to take body checking out too. More players get hurt from questionable hits than they do from dropping the gloves in a fight.

They can't take fighting out of the game because it will just make the gam dirtier with nastier hits on star players.

Fighting has its place in Hockey and if people don't understand that, then they need to watch some other sport. In professional sports, fights sometimes happen. Players get caught up in the heat of battle and their emotions sometimes get the best of them, leading to a fight. You just learn to accept that.

It's very rare that players get seriously injured from a fight in hockey. It has happened a couple times this season and now everybody is asking to have fighting removed from the game and thats the worst thing they could do if they are trying to clean up the game.

Leave the game alone....stop trying to change everything and stop adding rules. The game was fine for 75 years....why does it have to change now??