NHL: Buyouts and Waives

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by icegoat63, Jun 27, 2008.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Panthers Buy Out Jozef Stumpel

SUNRISE, Fla. – The Florida Panthers announced today that they have bought out the remaining one year on the contract of C Jozef Stumpel. Stumpel, 35, appeared in 52 games for the Panthers last season, recording 20 points (7-13-20) with a minus-11 rating and 10 PIM. In three seasons with Florida, Stumpel played in 199 games scoring 129 points (45-84-129).

~~~~

Isles Buy out Shawn Bates

The New York Islanders have placed forward Shawn Bates on waivers with the intention to buyout the remaining season of his contract with the organization. A member of the team since the 2001-02 season, Bates finishes his Islanders career playing in 320 games and scored 58 goals with 112 assists for 170 points.

"We felt this move is the most beneficial for both the team and for Shawn going forward into next season," said Islanders General Manager Garth Snow. "Shawn scored some memorable goals for the organization and was a great teammate. Although we are going in separate directions, we want to thank him for his contributions as an Islander."

Last season, Bates missed all but two games while recovering from groin/sports hernia and hip injuries. He was scoreless in those contests.

Bates' best season as an Islander came in 2001-02 when he recorded career bests 17 goals and 35 assists for 52 points. His most memorable moment as an Islander came in Game Four of the 2002 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals when he scored a game-winning penalty shot goal against Toronto at the Nassau Coliseum to tie the series.

The 33-year old Bates finishes his career as the franchise's 43rd all-time scorer with 170 points and sixth in franchise history with 13 short-handed goals.

~~~~

Ducks Waive Bertuzzi

The Anaheim Ducks are parting ways with Todd Bertuzzi, as the club has placed the veteran winger on waivers.

Bertuzzi was reunited with Ducks general manager Brian Burke last summer after signing a two-year, $8-million deal. full story

~~~~

Leafs Waive Wellwood and Raycroft

The Toronto Maple Leafs took another step toward rebuilding on Tuesday, placing forward Kyle Wellwood and goaltender Andrew Raycroft on waivers.

If Wellwood is claimed on waivers, his new team could retain his rights by giving him a qualifying offer and he would not become a free agent. If Raycroft is claimed, the new team would pick up his contract and salaryFull Story

~~~~

*Wellwood claimed by Canucks*

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis today announced that the club has claimed centre Kyle Wellwood off of waivers. Wellwood joins the Canucks after spending four seasons as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Wellwood, 25, played 59 games with the Maple Leafs last season, recording eight goals and 13 assists (8-13-21). He played his first NHL game in 2003-04 and in 189 career games has scored 31 goals, adding 77 assists (31-77-108) and 14 penalty minutes.

The 5-foot-10, 180 lbs. native of Windsor, Ontario, was selected by Toronto in the 5th round of the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Wow I didnt know about the Ducks waiving Todd Bertuzzi, I guess since Niedermayer is coming back they need to clear some cap, so that's why they released him.

I was surprise that the Leafs gave up on Wellwood so early, it wouldn't surprise me if Wellwood plays well with the Canucks in the next few seasons to come.

3. icegoat63

I didnt feel Bertuzzi was a good fit there anyways. Kinda seemed like one of those "just because" type deals. I'm glad to see him outta Anaheim.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I wonder where he's going to land, I still think he can be a powerhouse in the NHL, I see him fitting in Boston or Columbus for some reason. I think he would fit in both of those two systems. I still think he'll score close to 25 goals before he retires, hes to go to not to.

5. icegoat63

Add to the list:

Atlanta waives Zhitnik

The Atlanta Thrashers made a move on Saturday, placing defenceman Alexei Zhitnik on waivers. The 15-year veteran was acquired from Philadelphia for defenceman Braydon Coburn on Feb. 24, 2007.

Full Article from Kukla's Corner

~~~~~

Blue Jackets waive Westcott

The Columbus Blue Jackets have placed defenseman Duvie Westcott on waivers with the intent of buying him out.

Full Article

6. canadian24

canadian24 Registered Member

Either that or they realized that giving him four million dollars per year was about as smart as letting the damn Ducks into the league in the first place. Bertuzzi was just a favourite of Burke and thats the only reason he was given that big deal. I bet he'll never make that kind of money again.