NHL and Olympics

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by icegoat63, Oct 2, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

To me this is good news, the way it should be just like it was when we had miracle "amateur" teams like we did back in the 80's.

So how do you feel about this possibility of No more NHL players being fed into the Winter Olympics? Some reprecussions could mean lesser skilled players participating in either the Olympics OR the NHL. It could also mean the 2 week Olympic Break might be absent.

Personally I'm for it. I want younger non-professional players in the Olympics. In fact I think it'd be an awesome opportunity for the Junior Teams to provide players for these games. It'd be an awesome showcase for them.

2. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I go both ways this this.

I would love to see one of my favorite hockey players bring home a gold medal..

..but then I want to see the young players who haven't made it into the NHL yet, even some top AHL players to be sent over there. I would love to see what Justin Abdelkader could do over there against the other countries talent.

3. icegoat63

Thats what I agree with.... I want to see those players who arent getting or will ever get the shot at the NHL play in these games.

Also Just because the NHL isnt providing players... doesnt mean the Russian Pro's the Czech Pro's the Finnish Pro's and the Swedish Pro's will stop also. Some of those players are guys that have been playing for years and are more than capable of excelling in the NHL, but instead just prefer to play in their Home country.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The Olympics are for the best athletes in the world so NHL players should be able to compete for the Gold medal in the Olympics. The only reason why the NHL doesn't want to allow it's player to play in the 2014 games is because it's in Russia. I doubt if it was somewhere else we would be having this conversation at the moment. The KHL is sort of the rival league of the NHL, it's stolen some good player for the NHL so Bettman and the others are kind of bitter and that's why they probably won't allow them to play.
    I personally can't wait for the Olympic Hockey this year, the Canadian team had a bad showing in the last Olympics, but I don't see that happening again this time around, especially that it's in Canada. I can't wait to sit down with my friends, and watch those intense hockey games.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I'm kind of torn on this also. Part of me thinks the Olympics are all about the world's best athletes competing against each other, and if NHL players aren't participating then obviously you don't have the world's best hockey players. It would be like soccer and baseball, and those sports aren't very popular or exciting in the Olympics.

On the other hand, the college sports fan in me knows that you don't need to have the best athletes in the world to have an exciting sport. Amateurs have more to play for and are typically more passionate about representing their country than professionals who earn millions of dollars a year.

At the same time, I enjoy knowing the athletes I'm watching. Amateur and college hockey players, or even professional non-NHL players, are not nearly as well known as college basketball and football players in the United States.

6. icegoat63

I completely agree.

And also, the thing that kinda bugs me about the NHL supplying the players is this... how much time do they have to actually work with eachother? It cant be all that much right? So essentially all we get for Olympic Hockey is Segregated NHL All Star Teams, thats it.

Me Personally... I'd rather see it done like it used to where we get the Colorado Springs Training Camp for 3-4 months before the Olympics even start... Build that Team mentality and then to me thats better hockey than an All Star Game.

Simply put, since the 1980 "Miracle on ice" event... how many Spectacular Olympic hockey games have there been? Personally I cant think of any and I've religiously watched the Winter Olympics since the early 90's.

7. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I agree with this.. you must have watched the Frozen Four this past year? That Championship was crazy.

8. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Not sure this is entirely true...

The Olympics were originally created as a showcase for AMATEUR athletes and not professionals. Amateurism in the Olympics really wasn't phased out until the 1970's. So yeah, the best of the best have been there but until recently professionals weren't even allowed to participate. The problem is the gray area that says what is a pro and what is an amateur? It got too hard to tell so they did away with it.

I dont want the NHL there. Its cool to recognize them and cheer for them but I want the kids there. Its an unreal experience for them and they will only grow as a result of being there. I'll find some new people to root for...I remember seeing Garth Snow play goalie and then he was in the NHL after that...that's cool to me.

I say go back to what the Olympics were SUPPOSED to be for...the kids...the amateurs. The pros have their league.