NHL All Decade Teams

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 2, 2010.

?

NHL All Decade Teams

1. Colorado Avalanche 2000-2001

42.9%
  2. Detroit Red Wings 2001-2002

57.1%
  3. Anaheim Ducks 2006-2007

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Just like Echoes did for College Football, I decided to do one myself for the NHL. Please choose who you believe is the best.

The 2000-01 Colorado Avalanche:

They probably had one of the most jaw-dropping rosters ever. Joe Sakic=league MVP. He was on their first line with Hejduk and Drury. Just think about having a second line with Forsberg, Tanguay, and Deadmarsh. They got even better after trading Deadmarsh and Aaron Miller to the Kings for Rob Blake and Steven Reinprecht. Blake, Adam Foote, and Ray Bourque anchored an extremely solid blueline. Bourque finally won it all. Blake was one of the most dominant players on the ice. Stefan Yelle was also a key component who helped shut down the opposing forwards. They also had Greg De Vries and Jon Klemm, who were two of the best defensive stalwarts at the time. And Patrick Roy, the greatest goalie of all-time. What more is there to say...

2001-02 Detroit Red Wings:

Nicklas Lidstrom wasn't even their captain back then... Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan, Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille all scored 30+ goals. Kirk Maltby and Kris Draper were both in their prime as the league's top checking forwards, while they had a great 4th line with Igor Larionov. Chelios was still contributing at both ends of the ice, and Datsyuk was just starting to crack the NHL. And then you have Dominik Hasek.

Honourable Mention: 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks.

Brian Burke did a really good job here. He brought back Selanne and got good performances out of Andy McDonald and Chris Kunitz on the 1st line. The kids were leading the way on the 2nd line: Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Dustin Penner, a line full of power, grit, youth, and skill. They got the best out of their checking line, as Rob Niedermayer, Travis Moen, and Samuel Pahlsson played key roles in the cup win. I haven't even gotten to their defence yet... "The Big Three" of Scott Niedermayer, Francois Beauchemin, and Chris Pronger. Pronger didn't even play on the 1st pairing most of the time. That really says something. Giguere once again turned in a great postseason performance.

After adding Bertuzzi and Schneider the next season they were expected to repeat as champions, but then everything began to unravel.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

This is a close call between the Avs and the Wings. Both teams had similar regular seasons. I think the Red Wings were a little better since they breezed through most of their playoff series.

3. SqueakScolari

SqueakScolari Registered Member

Very, very close call between the Wings and Avs but I went with the Avalanche by the slimmest of margins. The level of talent on that roster was simply remarkable and same with the team chemistry. I think if those two teams played each other in a series, Colorado would win at the end of the day.

But you can really make an argument for either side. It is soooo close.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Its the wings for me. I mean there are alot of things that make these Clubs great.... but the Wings really grabbed ahold of that and embraced it, built onto it.

Yzerman will go down in history as one of the best captains ever to grace a Pro Sheet of Ice. That is something we can all count on. And had the luxury of experiencing him in action, some of which at the peak of his performance.

Simply put if I were to literally build an All Decade All Star 18 Man Team... I'd have to say that the 01-02 Red Wing Roster would probably make up the majority of the squad.

5. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

Both the Wings and Devils have 2 cups and 3 appearances in the finals, although Detroit's is more spread out so it may be them. Regardless if Pittsburgh wins it this year, the decade is over, and they weren't very good pre-lockout. The only other teams that could get into contention would be Anaheim and Carolina, and they would have to win the cup to achieve this status because they then would have 2 cups and appearances pre and post lockout. As much as I'd hate to say it, the Wings seem to be the team as they have cups and cup appearances pre and post lockout.