NFL overtime rules

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Millz, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I think that last night's finish (one possession, drive into FG range, score) highlights some of the issues with overtime in the NFL.

I do NOT advocate the 'everybody gets a chance' version from college. That's just idiocy.

But what should be done? It seems like every season we have this discussion about the NFL and their overtime system.

Is this a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Or DOES it need fixing?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think it should be simple:

Each time gets one possession, whoever scores the most, wins. If neither score or if there's a tie, each team gets a possession again, almost like a shoot out in hockey. I mean, I hate the "whatever team wins the coin toss wins the game" because that's just poorly thought out. If your team can't play defense, you deserve to lose.

3. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I am torn on this issue. Half of me hates what happened last night and wouldn't mind the college rules but the other half has seen the current system produce great results, with a back and forth type of OT. That happens pretty rarely, so I have no idea what they should do. Ha.

4. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I'm all for the College rules.. but I'd make them start a lot farther back.. maybe at the other 40 yard line.. Me and MJ had a discussion about this, I think, about how all college rules are better, except for the down whether you're touched or not.

5. Millz

I dont see why they'd have to start at a specific yard line.

I think they should do a regular kickoff for the first possession. Let's say that team scores...they would then kickoff to the other team and they get a chance to score. If they dont they lose...and if they tie it up we have another kickoff.

Also, I think if the team with the first possession of overtime allows a fumble or INT that is returned for a touchdown that that should end the game right there because the offense missed on their possession. Why would you then give the other team a possession? They already scored.

Konshentz likes this.
  6. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

Yeah, that would defintely work. I actually like that idea.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I see you liked my idea.

:)

8. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I never said that. It's obvious that the game would end there.

9. Millz

lol, that's right. Sorry.

I never said you said it :lol:

I dont see the NFL changing this anytime soon though...they seem to like the way they do it for some odd reason.

10. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

It should be very simple.

First team to score a touchdown wins. Field goals should be irrelevant at this point.

This would eliminate most of the one possession OTs since getting a TD is significantly tougher than kicking a field goal.

I think if you can't stop a team from scoring a TD in OT you deserve to lose. Stopping a 50 yard field goal though...I think that is significantly harder for a defense to prevent.

This would also make OT more exciting since 4th downs would be playable downs in OT but you wouldnt want to lose a fourth-down play on your side of the field either.