NFL much closer to moving to 18 games

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Doc, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Roger Goodell: NFL targets 2012 for 18-game season - ESPN

The earliest that we could see the two extra games is the 2012 season and the two games will replace two of the preseason games.

The starters typically play the majority of the last preseason games so the players won't be risking their health much more than they are now. The tempo of those games are a concern. I think that a shorter/less intense training camp will be necessary to balance the workload for the players.

2. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

As much as I want to watch more football that matters, I don't want to see records broken because of a longer season.. obviously I feel people thought that when they went to 16 games, but I just don't want or need the feeling to have quarterbacks throwing for 6k because of a longer year, and more running backs running for 2k a year.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think an 18 game season is a good idea. I don't think preserving records is a good reason to not improve the sport. Besides, they can adjust for that kind of thing by using per game averages.

4. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

How is 18 games improving a sports? It could very well end peoples careers a year or so early then they should.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

This was posted in the Official 2010 thread, but might as give my reply here.

Bad idea, I like it more when there's 16 games. It's been that way since 1978(except when there was a strike)

I believe it should stay that way. Yes, more games brings in more revenue, but you need to think of the health of the players. They take a beating every week, 16 games is more than enough and it shouldn't be changed to 18 games.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

What exactly would the extra 2 games be based on in terms of a team's opponents? In a 16-game season you have 6 games for divisional rivals, 4 games in the opposite conference, 4 games for another division in your conference and the last 2 being other teams in your conference who placed the same rank as your team did the previous year.

So the criteria for these supposed 2 games would be what? Just a random pick?

7. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

They'll probably move it to four conference game.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

If there is any concern over injuries then they should consider increasing roster size. College teams have 85 scholarship players plus walk-ons. I think NFL teams could use more than 53 roster spots.

9. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

Two extra weeks of fantasy football? I'm all for it.

10. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Also, more records will be broken with 18 games. Chris Johnson would've beaten the record with 2 more games.