• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NFL looking to have mandatory heart checks

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I said in this topic about Gaines Adams having a heart issue and how it seems like a lot of people, some kids, die from having a heart issue and not knowing about it. The NFL is taking steps to make it mandatory for everyone to have their hearts checked out before being medically cleared to play.

NFL mulling mandatory league-wide heart scans - ESPN

I think this is an excellent idea.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree that it’s an excellent idea and personally I think it should be done in every sport. To many players/athletes have died due to heart issues and if they’ve been check before hand a lot of them could of been avoided. They should definitely go ahead with this, and the NFLPA better be in agreement.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I agree with both of you guys. To me, this is why the NFL leads the way for the other big sports and the reason is because they take that step to do something no one else is doing.

Wade8813

Registered Member
If the NFL has a player's union at all like the MLBPA, I can see people opposing this.

A lot of athletes have a mentality of "I want to play, even if there's a slight chance it'll kill me". And some coaches/owners/etc have a mentality of "It's his decision if he wants to play"

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
There is an NFLPA and your right, I'm sure some players would oppose it.

However, I think they could come to a compromise. Everyone gets their hearts checked and afterwards, it's up to the individual player whether he wants to play or not. If he wants to and risk the consequences, fine. But I love the idea that players would at least know because I think in Gaines Adams case, he had no idea he had heart problems. At least if he knew, maybe he would have made the choice not to play.

Ramiel

Registered Member
This is a great idea. The NFL comes up with some of the best ideas. Too many players have died because of this. Not just in the NFL.

Wade8813

Registered Member
There is an NFLPA and your right, I'm sure some players would oppose it.

However, I think they could come to a compromise. Everyone gets their hearts checked and afterwards, it's up to the individual player whether he wants to play or not. If he wants to and risk the consequences, fine. But I love the idea that players would at least know because I think in Gaines Adams case, he had no idea he had heart problems. At least if he knew, maybe he would have made the choice not to play.
That's true. But then you might have some owners who will hold that against someone - you have a heart condition, so I'll pay you less because it's more likely you'll have to stop playing (or whatever).

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
That's true. But then you might have some owners who will hold that against someone - you have a heart condition, so I'll pay you less because it's more likely you'll have to stop playing (or whatever).

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
Another good point, never thought of it from the owners perspective. Hopefully something can be worked out on both sides because the player's health should be above all else.